Author Topic: my first real "Mod"  (Read 3069 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
my first real "Mod"
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
Ok guys, this may not be of much interest to most of you, but I thought I'd post up picts of an air intake after market mod on my 98 Firebird - before and after photos

1977 Transam

Re: my first real "Mod"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »
Hi.

Any idea on how much increase in hp it will provide?

Tommy

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
 :hi:

SLP make one and they claim 12 HP increase, but without hooking it up to a dyno before and after, I can not tell for certain. I'd rather not spend hundreds on dyno time to find out...!

Personally, I don't care so much... I want better efficiency and fuel economy.... I got the box and high performance filter (both second had but in good condition) for $60 delivered. I figure at that price, it was worth trying. I've also opened up the bottom plastics underneath the air box to allow more air from underneath the filter. This mod alone made a big difference, now with this air box on top, it should run even better. I have not had the chance to test drive it yet... some say it is noisier than stock setup, but at idle it's as quiet as a mouse, I'd imagine at WOT it might be a different story.... but for now... I love the sound it makes when you turn the engine off.  :smile:

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
:hi:

SLP make one and they claim 12 HP increase, but without hooking it up to a dyno before and after, I can not tell for certain. I'd rather not spend hundreds on dyno time to find out...!

Personally, I don't care so much... I want better efficiency and fuel economy.... I got the box and high performance filter (both second had but in good condition) for $60 delivered. I figure at that price, it was worth trying. I've also opened up the bottom plastics underneath the air box to allow more air from underneath the filter. This mod alone made a big difference, now with this air box on top, it should run even better. I have not had the chance to test drive it yet... some say it is noisier than stock setup, but at idle it's as quiet as a mouse, I'd imagine at WOT it might be a different story.... but for now... I love the sound it makes when you turn the engine off.  :smile:
I love that sound too......when you can hear a pin drop....Damn noisy muscle cars.. :rol:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
"I love that sound too......when you can hear a pin drop....Damn noisy muscle cars.."

is that the point at which you say : "Sh!t, what was that pin and where does it go!!!"   :rol:

ok, I think Chris is going to hit me know, bye!! :leaving:

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
That's ok......when you hear the pin drop....you run for cover. It's the pin from the hand grenade that normally comes on Ford engines....... :smile:  :bolt: 

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
but at idle it's as quiet as a mouse,

I must agree that 'Mice' are quiet! Where as a 'RAT' thats a different story! They are Mean Nasty Loud Obnoxious Smelly and Best of all VERY VERY FAST!  :burnout: :burnout:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333