Author Topic: Oldie but a newbie  (Read 9159 times)

Wayco

Oldie but a newbie
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Hi all.

Wayne here and I would like your groups collective knowledge.

Currently work in the UAE and have decided to bring back a muscle car when i come back to OZ in a couple of years. They love their cars here and there are many imported American models as well as Gulf specification models as sold by the new car dealers here. The Gulf spec cars are still left hand drive and the only major difference appears to be emission standards which the locals don't seem to care about (compared with cars out of the US).

There are a lot more new models e.g. 2007 onwards than pre 70's but the older mustangs and vetts are still around.

I have read all the Australian government import regulations and have a handle on that (hopefully). What i would like from the people here is their thoughts on:
What type/model etc has the best potential for making a small profit on eventual resale,
What is the cheapest to convert,
What is the easiest to sell,
Any other thoughts on the subject.

I know the above points are subject to many factors but still would like some local knowledge.

My preference is a late model Vett just because i like them.

Could i be better of with a late model Dodge Charger or Challenger?

Look forward to hearing from anybody.

Cheers

Wayne

jpony

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: Oldie but a newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Hey Wayne Welcome aboard,

For starters the Mustang is about to be RHD so might want to steer clear until the dust settles. I learn't the hard way.
They tried to bring the Charger out here a few years ago and it did not really sell well the 300C sold better.
The Challenger, Corvette or Camaro are your best bet they start at about 120k new but cost anywhere from 25-35k to convert ,2nd hand value is around 70-80k.
Unless there older than 30 years they have to be converted to RHD.

It seems to me the classics are the best ( Mopar's,Chevy's, Shelby's etc ) way to go for investment in maintaining and increasing in value over the long run.
Enjoy The Ride.    John Pony

2007 GT Tungsten Grey Premium Mustang Coupe. Auto.
IUP, Charcoal Aluminium Interior, Comfort Group, GT Apperance Package, Polished Exhaust Tips, 17" Polished Bullits, Hood Scoop, Shaker 1000, Shorty Antenna, Silver Racing Stripes, C & l  CAI Predator Tune.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333