Author Topic: Headlight Horror...  (Read 3847 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Headlight Horror...
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
I recently discovered that one of my high beam headlights has water inside it <<insert girlish scream>> interestingly enough, this is supposed to be a "sealed" beam.

Well, that would not bother me so much, but the chrome inside the light is also corroded, making the light not so great anymore.

There has been mention that the lights on this car may have been modified to suit the conversion, but I'm not sure if this applies to the high beams or not...?

I could score a replacement light from the US fairly easily (or a pair, to make sure they are both the same luminescence) but I need to be sure I comply with whatever the requirements are here...?

Alternatively, I would need to find a way to remove the water, re-chrome the inside and re-seal it all up again - which I could imagine could cost a packet.

Can anyone shed some light on this? (Pun intended)

Just to clarify. High beams on a 98 Firebird RHD.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Re: Headlight Horror...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
You could have just asked me......again!
It's only the low beam is concerned regarding ADR's. They have to direct the beam towards the left. US ones direct the beam to the right because they drive on the other side. The reason you have to change them on imports. High beams you can have 5000 watts aircraft landing lights if you want. Just fill up the rear of your car with batteries to run them..... :lol:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
You could have just asked me......again!

You know what, I completely forgot to ask when I was there last time. I even had the headlight from my car with me at the time I gave you the other headlights!!  :lol: < that's me bashing myself.

So, I get a pair of high beams and Bob's your uncle (well, I would not complain if Bob was my uncle, since he does drive a 4th gen Camaro!!)
heloooooo ebay, come to pappa

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Have been away and off line for a while. Hope you got your new beams.
Cheers, Uncle Bob.
 :cool:

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
not yet, talking to a guy in the US, hoping to get something sorted. I've got some rattling noise happening at the moment, so I think this take priority...

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333