Author Topic: Importing a (couple) of modified mid 60's ??  (Read 6129 times)

old mate

Importing a (couple) of modified mid 60's ??
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
G'day boys ,
We're planning to do a trip stateside in around 18 months or so , and now , finally being in a position to get serious dollar wise , the plan is to get 2 , possibly 3 , depending on how the initial builds work out , mid 60's beasties done and bring them home.
My query is , does anyone know what sort of hurdles we're looking at to get modified mid 60's in and on the road in regards to the "powers that be" , registration , RHD conversion wise  etc ??
The builder I want to use is awesome and I'd prefer to get the RHD conversions done there as opposed to having his work pulled to bits and the conversion done here ??
A penny for your thoughts , guys ?

Cheers , Steve.

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
Re: Importing a (couple) of modified mid 60's ??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately if you are thinking of importing modified cars into Australia your application to import will be denied.
Importing under the Pre 1989 scheme vehicles are required to be standard (or as close to), mods are allowed providing they are only minor, ie wheels and tires, engine changes providing the vehicle came out with that size in the day, no suspension, chassis or major mods are allowed ie bagged, blowers, supercharges etc, as your looking at modifying them over there and converting to right hand drive they will not be eligible for importation.

Best you head to https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/ to get a better understanding.

:cheers: Yvette
Click Image For Our Website

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
I reckon Americans would be even worse at RHD conversions than Australians (if that's possible).  I know I'm a broken record when it come to this, but if you do end up importing some standard(ish) cars, DON'T ruin them with a RHD conversion.  Apart from stuffing your car, you'll spend a pile of coin to get it done and the car will be worth less than when you started.   

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
What he said!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Fatbird

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
Yep......what they said

.....i looked into doing the same thing a couple of years back and after checking all available resources and costs, i bought a Camaro from QLD  :cool:

old mate

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately if you are thinking of importing modified cars into Australia your application to import will be denied.
Importing under the Pre 1989 scheme vehicles are required to be standard (or as close to), mods are allowed providing they are only minor, ie wheels and tires, engine changes providing the vehicle came out with that size in the day, no suspension, chassis or major mods are allowed ie bagged, blowers, supercharges etc, as your looking at modifying them over there and converting to right hand drive they will not be eligible for importation.

Best you head to https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/ to get a better understanding.

Thanks for that Yvette , the link was helpful....it looks like in the last 30 years , nothing's changed in regards to the "clowns that be" at the various govt. departments....   but just confirms the above sentiments  :banghead:

However , it'll take more than that to stop me  :smile: .... so it looks like it'll be a case of getting the base vehicle ,(new chassis , bodywork ... only slight tweaking by the Man !! , stock wheels  ... the "real " one's and assorted bits in another crate ) landed , then the rest of it done here ...
I haven't gone over all of the associated links in the main one yet , but are existing production units (current) allowable , or only from the day ?
 eg. are the 572 crate engine's allowable , being a "factory" GM unit , or will it need to be a chilli'ed up 454 done here ??

I might be opening Pandora's box here , but any recommendations on top notch engine builders and suspension/tyre guys ?? ..... I've been waiting a long time for this , so money's not an issue , but quality is , any pointers will be much appreciated !

Cheers ,
Steve.

old mate

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
I reckon Americans would be even worse at RHD conversions than Australians (if that's possible).  I know I'm a broken record when it come to this, but if you do end up importing some standard(ish) cars, DON'T ruin them with a RHD conversion.  Apart from stuffing your car, you'll spend a pile of coin to get it done and the car will be worth less than when you started.

Not much luck with the RHD conversions mate ? ....... I'm not too fussed with coin side of it , or the resale , I won't be selling it  :smile: , more important is the end result , the shifter on the r/h side sorta annoys me a bit
....There must be someone out there that can do a quality job  :banghead:

Cheers ,
Steve.

old mate

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
     P.S.  Has anyone had any dealings with Engineers re vehicle certification at all ??

A big thanks for everyone's replies so far , much appreciated ,

Cheers ,
   Steve.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Not much luck with the RHD conversions mate ? ....... I'm not too fussed with coin side of it , or the resale , I won't be selling it  :smile: , more important is the end result , the shifter on the r/h side sorta annoys me a bit
....There must be someone out there that can do a quality job  :banghead:

Cheers ,
Steve.

Steve, I've been in the hobby for 34 years.

I've had to fix something in the conversion in every RHD converted car I've owned.

I've owned my current LHD daily driver for nearly 14 years and put 225,000 miles on it in that time.  This car has been an absolute joy as far as operation is concerned.  It's highly optioned and everything works as it's supposed to.

Back in the days when you had to convert every car, the conversions were generally horrible.  The law on registering LHD cars changed in 1997 and as such, nobody does conversions on older cars anymore.  Having said that, with virtually nobody out there with any recent/relevant experience, do you think the quality of a conversion will get better or worse?   

old mate

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
Steve, I've been in the hobby for 34 years.

I've had to fix something in the conversion in every RHD converted car I've owned.

I've owned my current LHD daily driver for nearly 14 years and put 225,000 miles on it in that time.  This car has been an absolute joy as far as operation is concerned.  It's highly optioned and everything works as it's supposed to.

Back in the days when you had to convert every car, the conversions were generally horrible.  The law on registering LHD cars changed in 1997 and as such, nobody does conversions on older cars anymore.  Having said that, with virtually nobody out there with any recent/relevant experience, do you think the quality of a conversion will get better or worse?   

Well , if no one's doing them , that doesn't bode too well for the quality side of things .... I'm just thinking back to the couple I had some 30 odd years back , they were alright ?? ... whether they were done before or after they landed , I can't say though ...

I driven plenty of L/H vehicles both here and overseas , that's all good ... looks like I'll just have to "get to grips"  :lol: with the shifter on the right.

What's your thoughts on getting the current crop of new "factory" engines (eg. a 572 crate) in ?? .. or will it have to a massaged 454 ??

I'm currently looking at engaging the services of an Engineer in the vehicle compliance area , just in regards to all of the above stuff , and if my recent experience in getting commercial maritime vessels through is anything to go by , it'll be some fun  :banghead:
but it's helpful to get the opinions of those who have been down the road before.

Thanks bonnevista ,
Steve. 

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333