Author Topic: Dodge Magnum SRT8  (Read 3677 times)

bigwedowee

Dodge Magnum SRT8
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Good morning to fellow enthusiasts on the other side of the world!  Very excited to maybe hear back from some of you over there.  I have owned many modern muscle cars but currently have a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 and it is for sale here in the states (Atlanta, Georgia)...here is a link to the ad:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5550908976.html

The reason I am posting is to ask a question.  Is there a market for a car like this in Australia?  I've heard that American Muscle is very popular there but I always associated that with vintage muscle (60s and 70s mostly).  If there were, it would be a fun project to figure out how to ship a car there, learn a little more about your muscle car market and make some new friends and contacts.

Any feedback would be appreciated! 

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Re: Dodge Magnum SRT8
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:42:11 PM »
I'm no expert, but if you where to add up the purchase price, shipping price and possible steering conversion cost, then convert US to AUD - I think you might be finding this car would end up costing more than a v8 commodore wagon or maybe even a Merc v8 wagon of the same vintage. I know they are very different cars, but you get what I mean?
That's not to say there is no market for a car like this, if someone who knows the car, loves it enough, they'd buy it. But when you can get similar offerings locally for less, it means that it would compete in the same market.
Now, consider importing a Coupé, that could be a different story!

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Only cars 30years or older can remain LHD other they have to be converted! Yes we are one of the most backward countries in the world when it come to cars!
Conversion would cost around $30-40,000!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Phillip123

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 02:30:21 AM »
Yeah. Conversion would cost a lot.

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »
Re 69DirtyRat's comments, I also understand that this is indeed the regulation. HOWEVER on Thursday I followed & drove beside a nearly new Jeep Cherokee and was amazed to see it was a LHD on full NSW rego (standard issue black & yellow plates front and rear). It caught my attention initially due to the red brake light flashing as an indicator as our old cars do, and when I got behind & beside the woman was driving on the left side of the cabin & the baby capsule was sitting on the right side in the back. I thought I was missing something but it was CLEARLY LHD. Couldnt take a pic as I was driving...

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »
Re 69DirtyRat's comments, I also understand that this is indeed the regulation. HOWEVER on Thursday I followed & drove beside a nearly new Jeep Cherokee and was amazed to see it was a LHD on full NSW rego (standard issue black & yellow plates front and rear). It caught my attention initially due to the red brake light flashing as an indicator as our old cars do, and when I got behind & beside the woman was driving on the left side of the cabin & the baby capsule was sitting on the right side in the back. I thought I was missing something but it was CLEARLY LHD. Couldnt take a pic as I was driving...
It is common for people from overseas posted by military or consulate employees to have their personal vehicle shipped over and have it fully registered. I have seen it on many occassions. Once their work is completed registration gets cancelled and vehicle gets shipped back to country of origin. You can even find details of consession on the RMS website.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
Adding to my previous post.....
When I was a pilot many years ago I spent a lot of time flying to Alice Springs and it was always amusing to watch the USAF C141 Starlifter getting unloaded with several late model US vehicles followed by pallets of Jack Daniels and various bourbons. We used to call it the "Bourbon Truck". They were personal vehicles and supplies for military personnell stationed at Pine Gap. Next time I was back I would see same vehicles with NT number plates LHD driven around town by dudes with distinctive crew cut.... :way:   

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bigwedowee

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:04:38 PM »
I must admit LHD to RHD conversion did not occur to me.  That seems like it would make sending a car like this "cost prohibitive", right?.  Its a fairly rare car, at least the SRT8 version, of which about 2400 were built in 2006, then fewer in 2007, then far fewer in 2008 when they stopped making them altogether, and it seemed to me it might be a one-of-a-kind in your neck of the woods.

I see now why vintage muscle is a more likely candidate for shipping. 

I have never been to Australia.  But I have heard that you are just as gaga over muscle cars as we are here in the states. 

Thank you all for your responses!  I really appreciate it as a newcomer to your forum and I have very much enjoyed reading them. 

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »
No problem bigwedowee, and thanks for your input on our forum, and please dont make it your last  :exactly:

And thanks Chris for explaining that - we have several clusters of Service accomodation in this area, so that would make sense. Knew there would be a reason, just did not know what it was...   :thumb:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333