Author Topic: info for import of cars & ADRs  (Read 13488 times)

Bumblebee

info for import of cars & ADRs
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »
No mine's not converted but being a 1966 car there are no ADRs, so when it was stock a blue slip did the job.  When it was modified I needed the engineer's report..

I guess seeing the ADRs came into force in 1972, maybe there is a requirement to adhere to those specs?

anychevy

• P Plater
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=2712.msg15217#msg15217

I guess seeing the ADRs came into force in 1972, maybe there is a requirement to adhere to those specs?

Would'nt that mean RHD would be the first requirement ?

Therefore going back 10 years or more when LHD was only allowed for WW2 Jeeps and earth moving equipment etc.

It's probably come from some high ranking RTA official that knows nothing about classic cars and won't be happy untill we are all driving a Prius !

More people should ask questions and demand answers when it comes to changing laws (even trivial ones)

I'll get off my soapbox now :zip:

Dave

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
Quote from: anychevy link=topic=2712.msg15221#msg15221

Therefore going back 10 years or more when LHD was only allowed for WW2 Jeeps and earth moving equipment etc.

It's probably come from some high ranking RTA official that knows nothing about classic cars and won't be happy untill we are all driving a Prius !

More people should ask questions and demand answers when it comes to changing laws (even trivial ones)

That's something that's always bugged me about LHD cars needing to be engineered to 'comply'.  
If you get a copy of the ADR's, the first thing it says is the car must be right hand drive.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
Quote from: anychevy link=topic=2712.msg15214#msg15214
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=2712.msg15207#msg15207

With respect, considering what you'd have to pay to buy a big block, manual trans '70 Chevelle, I would have thought petrol would be the cheapest thing you'd put in it.

Your probably right, half a tank ($50) gets me to harry''s and back.
I wish I had more time to use it, but the wife fills the weekends up months in advance :mad:
It's a garage decoration most of the time.

$50 would get me to Goulburn and back - I love LPG.  Also, I don't have a wife any more (we're just divorced - it's not like I did her in or anything),  so I make up the weekends as I go.

Bumblebee

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 03:50:57 PM »
Quote from: anychevy link=topic=2712.msg15221#msg15221

No, over 30 years can remain left hand drive (but other ADRs still apply).:smile:

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
There is no reasoning with the twats.
Each phone call will result in a different answer.Even when they where all perched high in the offices at Rosebarry all under one roof,they couldnt get there crap together.
Some of them religiously had to buy the Mirror or the Tele to find out what day it was on the front cover,reading it was beyond them.

Years ago I put into Lizs, old ,oil leaking, smoke belowing,clapped out braking, 79 Gemini, A 87 model unleaded drinking,fuel injected turboed motor out of the very attractive Holden,Isuzu Piazza.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_piazza.htm

One would have thought enviromentally wise that was a good thing,unleaded,not belowing smoke like a steam train climbing the Blue Mountains,Brakes that could have pulled up a Pontiac with two large blokes in it holding a trophy,not these twats.

There main bone of contention after having the much required "charcoal cannister" and the catalytic converter in place was an unleaded filler neck,the small diameter,filler neck,it wasnt a difficult job by any means but that was on top of there list.
The twats didnt care about the cross member mods,the brake conversion,the wiring,the fitment,or what ECU it was running to ignite the fuel that goes in the much questioned filler neck.

There a bunch of twats,best thing the owner can do is be aware of what is done to there car, be familiar with the engineers report and the details that apply to having the engineers report created.

There is very good reasoning to the saying...What's the outcome from a room full of Engineers?? A wet floor.!

That might not apply to the RTA boofoons,they wouldnt find the room.

Happy Hooning

:boxing: TWATS
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
Wooooooohooooooo I've really opened a can of worms!

Just to throw something into the mix, but nothing to do with ADRs BUT about stupidity of RTA..... Do you know that if you buy a car off a pensioner..... you the buyer have to pay the RTA the difference between the pensioners discount the RTA give the pensioner on top of your stamp duty when you get it registered!!!! How has that got anything to do with the buyer of the car, you are just buying a car, BUT you get penalised for buying that car from a pensioner by paying the RTA discount given to a person/pensioner who has nothing to do with you!!!! they gave the discount to the person NOT you!:boxing:

moral of the story...Dont buy a car from a pensioner!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
Quote from: 69DirtyRat link=topic=2712.msg15234#msg15234

Just to throw something into the mix, but nothing to do with ADRs BUT about stupidity of RTA..... Do you know that if you buy a car off a pensioner..... you the buyer have to pay the RTA the difference between the pensioners discount the RTA give the pensioner on top of your stamp duty when you get it registered!!!! How has that got anything to do with the buyer of the car, you are just buying a car, BUT you get penalised for buying that car from a pensioner by paying the RTA discount given to a person/pensioner who has nothing to do with you!!!! they gave the discount to the person NOT you!:boxing:

That's always been the case.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
Quote from: 69DirtyRat link=topic=2712.msg15234#msg15234

However IF a pensioner buys a car off of someone who is NOT a pensioner they do NOT get a refund .............figure that out !

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
O.K.guys.....
Before we all blow a head gasket over this ADR issue, let me set the records straight.
If you own a left hand drive vehicle that is 30 years or older, you can register it in NSW with only a simple blue slip. It only gets slightly more complicated if it was built after August 1972 where it has to comply with some ADR applicable to the year model.
If it is '73 model there is nothing to worry about since the yanks would have already fitted the items required by 73 ADR's.
If it is '75 model however it will require to be fitted with child restrain anchoring points. This is where engineering comes into effect because they want to make sure it is secured correctly insted of a couple of self tappers and some glue.
That applies to the rest of your seatbelts which need to be replaced with Aussie ones carrying the ADR labels. Once again requires an engineer to certify them.

If anyone wants to know more, i have the full list of ADR's at my work and more than happy to give you advice on what is required.
Call me on 02 9771 4144
Cheers, and Merry Christmas

Chris.  

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333