Author Topic: Buying a car from the usa  (Read 6444 times)

Hemihunter

Buying a car from the usa
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
Yep and we didnt find out what the end price was either.....
it may have been a steal at 5K !!

stanglover

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »
You guys are missin the point, its not about the price, or how much little work would be involved, its about misleading and false advertising:

"THIS CAR 100% RUST FREE AND THE UNDER CARRIAGE IS 100% RUST FREE"

Why would you say that unless you know it is for a fact? If he had not stated the above statement, would he have lost potential buyers?

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Maybe he was meaning to say,  "100% of rust included free."

68PONY

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Quote from: stanglover link=topic=2933.msg16973#msg16973
I guess what 68PONY is trying to point out is that it was advertised and sold as rust free car!
It's the deception that p1sses people off.
Someone would have probably paid the same price advertised even if it was advertised as "some rust repairs required". Atleast it shows honesty and the buyer knows upfront what he's in for.

Baz your 100% right he told me there was no rust at all under the car , he told me the interior was 100% original , it was not , he told me the paint was original , it was not , i was bidding and paying for a car that was wrongly advertised , if he had stated those issues in his description i might have still bid on the car but i would not have  bid as high , you can say what you like , i don't like being lied to , the seller was not honest.
Just to add the person who inspected the car who ships cars for a living told me the car was worth $4000 less than what my winning bid was.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »
just as a matter of interest in this

what was the price that you bid up to ???? and what is the car actually worth ????

sellers usually miss represent a car ,it is after all part of the game
My own car had more rust in it than i was advised when buying BUT much of that could not be seen until it was stripped down
granted the rust on that car IS clearly visible

price still pays an important part of the equation with me

a little floor pan rust (if that is all it had) is no real big deal to fix ...in fact many cars made 50 years ago rust came as a standard feature

not missing the point ,just after all of the details

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
When I bought my MPM (Mustang Pancake Maker) I also emailed the guy and specifically asked him "Was there any visable rust"? of course he said "No!" .... Bloody liar, owell at least its all easily fixed! Plus I new he was lying because I zoomed into one of the pix he gave me and sure enough I could see some bubbles, but I wanted the truck anyway!
I'm with 68Pony, the car just didnt represent what the seller had advertised! Its not about how it looks! If I sold you a car from New Orleans and it looked perfect, would you trust me? No cause its probably been under water and you would never know!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
Do not worry about rust!...
A couple of years ago i attempted to buy a car on ebay US. It looked immaculate. All shots from every angle, inside out, this thing was a gem. i was the winning bidder way under what it was really worth. come paying time, seller insisted on money transfer via bank. I said no way josey i want paypal so i have protection(sort of). He says no he wants money via bank.
O.K. i says i want title. He says no title, only bill of sale.
That's when i started to smell rat. Next thing he says he will accept paypal. I said O.K. so i paid him. Next thing to pick up car, there is no car. Several calls later he says he had to move it because too many people tried to steal it. I have sent email telling him that expect a knock on his door by the FBI due to international internet fraud because he sold me a car with no title and no guarantee of ownership.
After several threats he refunded all my money and admitted that he was only trying to sell his friends car while he was in jail because he owed him money.
I know paypal sucks but if you insist there is some protection at the end of the day and it is improving.

Cheers, Chris

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333