Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 32863 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Howdy
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:10 PM »
What boxing gloves?... OOOps what was i thinking!
MOPARS RULE!  :bow: :bow::bow:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Howdy
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
Well Chris, I'm glad you asked.  The hydramatic 4 speed auto did indeed have 4 forward speeds, however, 4th gear was 1:1.

From memory, it was in use in (US) Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles from 1958 to 1964 (They may have started earlier, but they finished in '64).

They didn't have a convential torque converter like a T/H400 or powerglide and as such, 1st gear was very low.  On the couple of cars I've driven with that trans fitted, they changed from 1st through 3rd gear pretty quickly and then took their time to get into 4th.

As far as Pontiacs were concerned (probably the same for Olds too), prior to '64, the starter motor was mounted on the trans bell housing, so you couldn't put a more modern trans in your car with the original engine.  However, in 1964, in Bonnevilles and GTOs only, the engine blocks were machined to take the block mounted starter, even though they still had the starter on the trans (Catalinas, Grand Prix, etc didn't get that until 1965).

I don't know why the Bonnevilles got the provision for the block starter, but the GTO needed it for the auto trans they use which is call the Super Turbine 300 (it's a 2 speed auto that a lot of people refer to as a powerglide - but they're not related).  It required a block mounted starter.

There was also a 3 speed auto that models like the Catalina used.  It's commonly used name is the 'Slim Jim' - why, I don't know.  It also used a bell housing starter.

It was a lucky thing that the '64 Bonneville had the block starter, at least lucky for me.  I had a '64 Bonny for many years (only a 389, but options loaded - including power vent windows).  When we got the car, it had no trans, but my Dad built a T/H400 for it, as well as making a cross member and tailshaft to suit.

68PONY

Howdy
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3106.msg18594#msg18594
Well Chris, I'm glad you asked.  The hydramatic 4 speed auto did indeed have 4 forward speeds, however, 4th gear was 1:1.

From memory, it was in use in (US) Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles from 1958 to 1964 (They may have started earlier, but they finished in '64).

They didn't have a convential torque converter like a T/H400 or powerglide and as such, 1st gear was very low.  On the couple of cars I've driven with that trans fitted, they changed from 1st through 3rd gear pretty quickly and then took their time to get into 4th.

As far as Pontiacs were concerned (probably the same for Olds too), prior to '64, the starter motor was mounted on the trans bell housing, so you couldn't put a more modern trans in your car with the original engine.  However, in 1964, in Bonnevilles and GTOs only, the engine blocks were machined to take the block mounted starter, even though they still had the starter on the trans (Catalinas, Grand Prix, etc didn't get that until 1965).

I don't know why the Bonnevilles got the provision for the block starter, but the GTO needed it for the auto trans they use which is call the Super Turbine 300 (it's a 2 speed auto that a lot of people refer to as a powerglide - but they're not related).  It required a block mounted starter.

There was also a 3 speed auto that models like the Catalina used.  It's commonly used name is the 'Slim Jim' - why, I don't know.  It also used a bell housing starter.

It was a lucky thing that the '64 Bonneville had the block starter, at least lucky for me.  I had a '64 Bonny for many years (only a 389, but options loaded - including power vent windows).  When we got the car, it had no trans, but my Dad built a T/H400 for it, as well as making a cross member and tailshaft to suit.

Thats right no torque converter in the hydramatic , thats probably why they had such low gearing for 1st and second , no torque multiplication from the converter, Ive been trying to find out what rear ratio the 55 has but a google search has come up empty, mr bonnevista maybe you know or could find out.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Howdy
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3106.msg18594#msg18594

Hi Chris
I knew i could rely on you when i needed lots of useless information on Pontiac transmissions. Now my eyes are opened even wider than 20 years ago when i saw the light to put a big block chev and T400 in my 66 GTO to prove the then president of the Pontiac club that there is light at the end of the tunnell.
Since then i saw the brightest star in existence..... A PENTASTAR
MOPARS RULE!  :bow::bow::bow:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Howdy
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Chris (pony), I'll see what I can find.  I'm pretty sure the the rear end was the same in both Olds and Pontiac from that era, the main differences being the use of either leaf or coil springs, depending on the year.

They had a very strong diff, with a 9 and a quarter inch ring gear. Off the top of my head, as far as the '64 model was concerned, with auto trans, the standard rear end ratio was 2.56:1 (no A/C) and 2.69:1 (with A/C).  As far as optional ratios were concerned, they ranged from 2.21:1, all the way up to (I think) 6.14:1.  Why anyone would want a 6:1 diff is beyond me, unless they fitted them in tractors (yes, go ahead, Pontiacs are tractors ha ha beat you to it!).    

cpu

Howdy
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3106.msg18601#msg18601

.............(yes, go ahead, Pontiacs are tractors ha ha beat you to it!).

:shades:

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Howdy
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »
Chris (pony), I've found a few references to the '55 Olds rear.  While not a complete reference, they mention the ratios 3.08, 3.23 and 3.42.

The gigantor diff I mentioned earlier was shared by Pontiac and Olds between '57 and '64, so the correct rear for your car isn't the same as this.  

http://store.payloadz.com/details/788427-eBooks-Automotive-1955-OLDSMOBILE-SHOP-MANUAL-ALL-MODELS.html

This might be a handy purchase for you.

blocker

Howdy
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Quote from: Garrett link=topic=3106.msg18592#msg18592
Chris,

Boxing gloves for them bigblocks with the excuse book :pat:

Block like yourself is happy with what he has.

My first two runs on the 205/70/14's.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
Howdy
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
How the hell do you do that on 205/70/14s???:bow:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

blocker

Howdy