Author Topic: ***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***  (Read 24950 times)

68PONY

***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=3242.msg19291#msg19291
They were doing a spot check for Souvlaki!  It was for Chris you know!!

MMMMMMMM lamb i hope :rol::rol:

Hemifish

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Looks like KEVEN 07 needs to top up his super before he gets sacked  allways a goverment grab for cash as they will apply a special TAX to let modified cars into australia :mad::cry::cry::cry:

roadhound

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
If I was to import a 30 yr old car it would have to look
as it first came out, wheels and all.Bringing out
something that it wasnt can only cause issues with
the law makers and create headaches for importers.
Stick with importers that know their stuff and what you can
and cant bring in,  so recently built pro tourers a no no
but a recently restored car to original specs with paperwork ok

Fine 59

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »
Wow, looks like I just scraped in, I've only had this imported 59 cadillac for 3 months with mods done to it, just yesterday we missed out on a radically blown big block mustang from the states. What affect will this have with custom cars, thanks for the tip.

65pony

• Speedster
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
Yvette a real quick question, if you did purchase a blown 67 camaro with mag wheels. What's stopping you just pulling the blower, bonnet and mags off to ship and just chuck em in the car as "spare parts" ?? Just chuck on an old bonnet and a set of crappy old rims so it looks stock.

I'm just really confused as to why this has now been enforced?? What are they trying to stop??

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »
Hi Joel,
Not sure why its been introduced as well, re the changing of the bonnet, removing the blower etc that would be something the customer would have to decide, remember you need to supply documented proof of the vehicle so therefore you would be falsifying a legal document.  You would also have to have the other parts listed on the BOS for Customs as all goods have to be noted. I hope to have answer soon on what is classed as "Modified".
On another note getting a seller to do that, that could be fun as you would know some of them even have trouble sending you the paperwork let alone changing the car for you!
Click Image For Our Website

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:54 PM »
Ok, have spoken with Dotars - Modified means -
ie: a 36 Pick up truck stock standard is no problem
36 Pick up, new interior, new engine, mags, fibreglass body kit no approval will be issued.
67Chev Camaro - Mag wheels- were they on the car then, yes you can bring in, if it is now fitted with 20" Bling wheels no it will not get approval.
So basically the car you import must be original in all areas even down to the engine, if its fitted with a new crate engine no it will not get approved.
These rules have always been in place but were not really policed and now they will be.
Best thing to do as told by Dotars is to send an email with pics of the car you intend to bring in before you purchase with mods listed and they will be able to tell you within a couple of days whether the car is acceptable for importing.

This is definatley going to affect everyone even if your car is on the water now and you have not received your approval yet you will be contacted for further photos if required and if it is modified in anyway it will be denied therefore the car will be seized and further action taken.

I hope there is know one out there that will be caught up in this sudden crack down.

(This info was given to me over the phone I am still awaiting a reply via email which apparently has been handed onto a person that is more qualified to answer our questions regarding the modification clarification).

Will keep you posted as I get word!!
Click Image For Our Website

mattlea1

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
Just seems ridiculous to me as you could bring in a stock standard car and then modify it when it arrives and you could still legally register it.:huh:

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
Since when did common sense ever enter into the vocabulary of a government department?
This is designed, I'd say, to stop guys importing a fibreglass bodied 32 roadster on repro rails and calling it a 32 Ford.......although its overkill the way they've gone about it, and as usual its caught unrelated vehicles that aren't what they were aiming at.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »
Quote from: usmusclecars link=topic=3242.msg19365#msg19365
So basically the car you import must be original in all areas even down to the engine, if its fitted with a new crate engine no it will not get approved.

I know this is one of those 'what if' questions, but 'what if' I want to import a car with no engine or no front clip.  On that basis, how 'standard' is standard.  When you're looking to import something like a 45 year old Mustang, that's the sort of car you can buy with stuff missing (including engine) because you can get all the repro stuff to rebuild it.  If stuff is missing, you clearly can't put 'original' stuff on it.    

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333