Author Topic: ***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***  (Read 24947 times)

68PONY

***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
We were asked for photos but only exterior shots , so if the car looks stock but has a new motor in it you might be okay

69LUCFR

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
Must admit, I was glad I saw this thread as I'm off to the US in July for holidays and a look see whats around.  May have to narrow my search a bit for something more genuine this time.  Haven't decided on Chev Camaro or a Ponti T/A yet.  Any recommendations on places on the US east coast??

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
You can bring a car in with no engine, the car will still need a clear title for it to leave the US and also you will still need an import approval.

About the photo you supply, they can ask you for more photos and evidence, it is your responsibility to tell them if there are ANY mods,  if you bring a car in with anything modified and do not tell them you are still risking having the car denied entry upon arrival, even if you have approval, remember the document you sign for your approval is a legal document.
Click Image For Our Website

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
Quote from: usmusclecars link=topic=3242.msg19458#msg19458
You can bring a car in with no engine, the car will still need a clear title for it to leave the US and also you will still need an import approval.

So, I can fit a crate engine here to a car I've imported with no engine, but I can't import a car with one  already fitted.  

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Quote from: bonnevista link=topic=3242.msg19462#msg19462
Quote from: usmusclecars link=topic=3242.msg19458#msg19458

So, I can fit a crate engine here to a car I've imported with no engine, but I can't import a car with one  already fitted.  

Yes you can.  Not our rules!
But as usual you would have to check with rta rules regarding engine changes.

Hemihunter

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
How long does the import approval last for? got mine in Aug 2009 didnt need any pics back then , And still have not shipped the car...but this new rule has me thinking, I wonder if i need to update the approval and supply pictures etc?  Im just awaiting the clear title....what a long drawn out episode that is...:feedback:

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
Quote from: Hemihunter link=topic=3242.msg19473#msg19473
How long does the import approval last for? got mine in Aug 2009 didnt need any pics back then , And still have not shipped the car...but this new rule has me thinking, I wonder if i need to update the approval and supply pictures etc?  Im just awaiting the clear title....what a long drawn out episode that is...:feedback:

Not sure you will need to checker with your shipper as to what they want you to do, I would think it would be ok but with the modification rule who knows, you would think that you have the approval dated back in Aug 09 so all would be fine. Gees thats a long time to wait for a Title, turn around is usually around 10 days!

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
This is just madness!!! It just doesnt make any sense. Why do we need the RTA, why do we have engineer certificates, why do we have Blue slips. Maybe we should scrap the RTA then! Apparently KRudd knows more about cars than each states  roads/transport bodies?
When are all the car clubs (of all types) going to unify & get together and stick together and stop letting politicians walk all over us, even if you are in a one make/standard car clubs, some time in the future they will also be picked on! Why wasnt the people that it effects consulted? Isnt the whole aim of our political system to serve the people?
Complaining can help, look at what happened when the 4wd community got behind the stupid Lowing/Raising height rules were put forward... complaining reversed it!
Sorry about raving on, please dont delete me.:cry::cry::cry::cry:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

roadhound

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
Madness is correct.I read from another post that this all may have originated in JAPAN  with those 4 cyl doof doofs being turboed and highly modded.and no one knows what going on over there so they sucked in the USA imports as well meaning all imports.

lazy69

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 06:28:56 AM »
How would you go if you wanted to import a car that you didn't want to register say for the drags?

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333