Author Topic: HEI Distributors  (Read 5024 times)

Jethro

• Speedster
HEI Distributors
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
Hey boy's I've been experiencing a miss at high rev's and under load and am sure it's got to do with the original dizzy so I'm thinking of ordering one of these HEI Distributors.....

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-hei-distributor-conversion-1962-1975.html?crosssell=Product_Upsell

Has anyone done so before or am i better to get a local mechanic to supply and fit ?
[img width=200 height=150]https://americanmusclecarsaustralia.com/forum/signatures/J

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
HEI Distributors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:01:39 PM »
I wouldn't be hard.  As well as the new dizzy, you'll also need new spark plug leads (HEI leads are different to points) and a way of supplying a constant 12 volts to it.  
Currently, you would have your power to the distribuor go through a resistor to drop it down to around 9 volts.  This increases the life span of the points. With HEI, you need 12 volts constantly.
You'll also need to set your spark plug gap to 0.045 instead of the current (I'm assuming) 0.035.
I'll be dropping a new engine in my car in a few weeks and I'm going from points to HEI.
I'll be addressing the voltage situation by having the resistance wire going to a relay and then have battery voltage supply current to the dizzy via the resistor.      

Jethro

• Speedster
HEI Distributors
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
So Chris,

You buying local or USA ?
[img width=200 height=150]https://americanmusclecarsaustralia.com/forum/signatures/J

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
HEI Distributors
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
I imported a complete and fully recoed 455 in the US a few months ago.  Mick and Yvette Donaher (Mick's Muscle Cars) looked after the shipping for me.
The engine looks great sitting on the floor of my garage for the last 2 or 3 months.  I had planned to install it during the last school holidays, but I had to drive to Sydney 3 times and the barge is the only car I own, so I'll be planning to do it during the school break coming up in 2 weeks - unless of course, I end up going somewhere else.  I may end up driving to Melbourne at the end of the first week of the hols, so I still may have to postpone the installation again.
I'll get done - sooner or later.  I'm just grateful the old engine still runs.  I know it still runs because of all the oil it consumes!!    

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
HEI Distributors
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
G'day Jethro,
Did you forget about me? :rol:
You do not have to go to Ecklers to buy a dizzy that was made in China, you can buy the same here on Ebay for $70. I am serious.
I have used them before, the last one simply exploded while driving along. You will find one out of a thousand that may work well for years but 90% of them garbage.
There is a new dizzy on the market made by Professional Products.
I have used these billett dizzys in six of my engines in the last 12 months and they are superb quality and they half the size of the HEI which can be a bonus in a Corvette.
The website is www. professional-products.com
You want the Powerfire distributor part#3000
They are available locally, i can get you one for $295.00

Cheers, Chris.  

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Jethro

• Speedster
HEI Distributors
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
Quote from: sms777 link=topic=3849.msg24117#msg24117
G'day Jethro,
Did you forget about me? :rol:
You do not have to go to Ecklers to buy a dizzy that was made in China, you can buy the same here on Ebay for $70. I am serious.
I have used them before, the last one simply exploded while driving along. You will find one out of a thousand that may work well for years but 90% of them garbage.
There is a new dizzy on the market made by Professional Products.
I have used these billett dizzys in six of my engines in the last 12 months and they are superb quality and they half the size of the HEI which can be a bonus in a Corvette.
The website is www. professional-products.com
You want the Powerfire distributor part#3000
They are available locally, i can get you one for $295.00

Cheers, Chris.  

Hey Chris,

I was hoping ya's chime in:smile::smile::smile::smile: I reckon I might take ya up on that, "i can get you one for $295.00" and then I'll swing up one day and get you to do install??? this dizzy would also allow for my Techo drive? :fingers::fingers::fingers::fingers::fingers:

LeighP

• Rally Licence
HEI Distributors
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
I've been looking over the Professional Products site...they have some pretty nice products.
I like the distributor....the manual external knob for minor timing adjustment reminds me of the same system on my 54 Chevy 6 cylinder....was a good idea then, too.
They have a cool EFI system and there is a neat "Fuel On Demand" regulator box which basically drives your electric pump at whatever speed is required to supply the programmed fuel curve (and its programmable)....very neat, works on carbs and EFI.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333