Author Topic: Rat Rods in Australia?  (Read 14048 times)

mike.biggs

Rat Rods in Australia?
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
Hi guys, I've been chasing some real steel to get into as a new project, and I've finally found a decent 1930 Ford Tudor. Its complete, but definitely leaning towards the Rat Rod look, and I'm happy with that after a bit of a cleanup.

Its been dropped and sits real nice without being stupid. Has a Merc Flathead with twin 97s and a 4sp Borg Warner. Plan is to just cut a few inches out of the roof height, cleanup the panel work, drop some bomber seats and harnesses in and give her a tune :)

I can imagine that rules for HotRods in Australia are very different to say America. I know wheels need to be basically covered, moving engine parts covered etc etc...but what about the appearance of surface rust etc? Do cars need to be painted? If so I guess some matt black wouldnt be too hard...but I never want this to be a show car or look like an easter egg.

What about exhaust exits? This thing exits basically next to the doors :) I know the old rule was 40mm behind the last open window or something, but I cant find the exact details. Does all this apply to such an old car?

In regards to cutting the roof...how low can I go? I want to cut it as low as I find comfortable and safe, but I'm guessing theres rules out there regarding this.

Should I be looking at some sort of different rego? I'd like to be able to drive it where and whenever, but I know theres different rego available out there for rods and classics.

Long term plans would be a fresh flathead with some work and 21st century brakes...but I'd be happy to just have something old, cool, and gnarly to cruise in :)

Any feedback would be great guys.

srh

• P Plater
Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
Hi Mike
Probably your best source of info would be http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/index.php  i reckon its the best Hot rod forum in Australia
Good luck with the car, sounds like a beauty!
cheers
Steve
>>>

mike.biggs

Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
Thanks for that Steve, I'll head over there and see what I can dig up :fingers:

mike.biggs

Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
Hi mate, no real update...but I am currently sourcing some real steel from America and looking to import directly from there. Found freight for $3200 from L.A to Melbourne, which I thought was reasonable. There are several cars I am currently looking at. The wife really wants a '57 Belair, and there are several original ones for under US$10k. I want more muscle, and looking at some '70ish Cudas etc, between $13-15k.

But really, for $35000 delivered, this ProTouring big block 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle has stopped me in my tracks :)
http://www.harwellmotors.com/muscle-cars/1970/chevrolet/chevelle-big-block-pro-touring/133370k163431

We'll see what ends up on the boat over to here...

roadhound

Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
If the chevelle was pro toured before 1989 then there should be no problems bringing one in.
But then again, some have things that have been coming in that should not have. Or so I thought. Cheers

mike.biggs

Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »
Yeah its 30+ years to dodge paying import duties, and pre-1989 dont  need Australian compliance, as long as no other compliancing was done after 1989 right?

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
hey Mike,
I would be very careful regarding importation of modified cars since the clamping down of the rules recently. Anything modified has to be declared and specified according to regulations that has been in force since day one. Unfortunatly there has been some serious breaches detected so they got serious about inspecting containers getting shipped from the US with undeclared goods including vehicles that do not fit they declared status.
Current rules dictate that you have to supply documentation regarding serious modification stating that it was done before 1989 or only minor changes allowed like wheel size and dressing of engine bays.
Check with Canberra before make any decisions to save you future headaches.
Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

mike.biggs

Rat Rods in Australia?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
Thanks for that Chris! I'll make sure I make some calls to the powers-that-be before buying anything; I'd really like to get something originally anyway. I actually had a mate have trouble with his imported '55 Belair as they pulled him up saying the engine fitted wasnt actually an optional or available engine for that model, and he had to source an "original spec" engine (and box), have it fitted and running before they'd release it for registration. In all truth it was a fresh crate 454 in it, but it proves they have a keen eye looking for this stuff.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333