Tech Talk & Articles > Hotrods

Rat Rods in Australia?

<< < (2/2)

mike.biggs:
Yeah its 30+ years to dodge paying import duties, and pre-1989 dont  need Australian compliance, as long as no other compliancing was done after 1989 right?

sms777:
hey Mike,
I would be very careful regarding importation of modified cars since the clamping down of the rules recently. Anything modified has to be declared and specified according to regulations that has been in force since day one. Unfortunatly there has been some serious breaches detected so they got serious about inspecting containers getting shipped from the US with undeclared goods including vehicles that do not fit they declared status.
Current rules dictate that you have to supply documentation regarding serious modification stating that it was done before 1989 or only minor changes allowed like wheel size and dressing of engine bays.
Check with Canberra before make any decisions to save you future headaches.
Cheers, Chris.

mike.biggs:
Thanks for that Chris! I'll make sure I make some calls to the powers-that-be before buying anything; I'd really like to get something originally anyway. I actually had a mate have trouble with his imported '55 Belair as they pulled him up saying the engine fitted wasnt actually an optional or available engine for that model, and he had to source an "original spec" engine (and box), have it fitted and running before they'd release it for registration. In all truth it was a fresh crate 454 in it, but it proves they have a keen eye looking for this stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version