Author Topic: Paint Job on my 71 Firebird  (Read 64942 times)

LeighP

• Rally Licence
Paint Job on my 71 Firebird
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »
Had a quiet afternoon - everyone was out, lol.
Got a chance to finish off the dash wiring.....a couple of more plugs than I intended, but with the pulse generator for the speedometer and all the button switches with LEDs in them it got a little more complicated.
Annoying soldering wires to the button switches....my small circuit board soldering iron doesn't put out enough heat to solder the wires, and the larger one I have is a bit tight to work with in the small spaces between the pins....

Heres the connections on the button switches, the LEDs light up when the switch is selected on...I tested them and they work fine.

And heres the finished dash from the rear. All the looms are designed to pass through the structure of the dash itself, so I didn't have to cut anything behind there for clearance.

Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »
I wish I invented cable ties.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
I like cable ties...they are my friend :fantastic:
Regards,
Leigh

lazy69

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with them. They are great for tidying up a wiring harness but when cut wrong they are like razor blades & tear up my arms working in tight spots

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
So, I'm still doing small projects to fill in time and save time later.

Fitted up the Autometer Trans Oil and Engine Oil Temp gauges to the A pillar pod housing I got from Anvil Autos. They do lots of cool CF parts for 2nd gens.

And I fitted up an eye level centre brake light to the rear headliner trim retainer, as well as refinishing the front and rear trims in satin black.

The pegs are just holding the wiring where I've bedded it into some sealant while it sets - to stop it moving around.

Regards,
Leigh

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
OK...so we've reached the stage where theres enough progress to warrant more pics.
Car is back in pieces, getting the final undercoat - it'll be blocked and get the base colour on it next week.....theres a public holiday coming up, so its a short week, but at least it should be in the base colour.

Heres a pile of Firebird parts ready for priming.

Doors are done.

And the body freshly primed.

Regards,
Leigh

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
WE HAVE SOME COLOUR!!!!!!

Well, its only the base colour, they still have to apply the top colour (pearl green) over the base, but he's identified a couple of extremely slight low spots he wants to fix first....so since tomorrow is a public holiday, the guys are also getting friday off to make a long weekend...so mine will sit till next week...hardening up a little.

Regards,
Leigh

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Finally - COLOUR!!!!!!!

They phoned me late today....seems the booth was free and the painter was keen to paint it....

Even the panel shop owner is impressed with the colour choice.

Without further delay.....the shell - freshly painted.

Is that cool, or what?  The pearl in the paint really shows off under the lights of the booth - I can't wait to see this in the sun. And this is just "off the gun".  :cool: :cool:
Regards,
Leigh

Gene

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
Looks magic............the pearl really lifts the colour....thanks for sharing :)

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
NICE!! mate can't wait to see it out in the sun man that color will pop.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333