Author Topic: 1977 SE Trans Am - Re-spray and Engine Project  (Read 12605 times)

1977 Transam

1977 SE Trans Am - Re-spray and Engine Project
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
After speaking to Joe on the weekend I realised I better get my act together and put a post on my 1977 SE Transam Project.

At the end of June I was offered by a friend of the family to have my car soda blasted, rust removed and repaired, and the car spray painted.

I took him up on the option and started ripping the interior out of my car.  Started bagging all the nuts and bolts and labelling everything.

Originally just wanted to pull the seats out. 

Before I knew it everything apart from the rear parcel shelf and the dash had come out.

Every time I pulled a part out I noticed something else cracked, broken or thinking I would just like the part to be new.

So now I have shelving in the garage taken up with parts and a whole spare room in the house allocated to being the "Transam" room.  And god does it smell nice going in there.  Mary even loves opening the door every now and then.  Funny how the car interior smell of a classic car just follows the parts around.  He he.

I've attached some photos of the project to date.  http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x435/Tommyarmstrong/1977%20SE%20Transam%20Project/

I'll try not to bore you with too much detail.

Found the map pocket under the radio pretty messed up.  Also the console has the plastic broken underneath the vinyl.

Aircon ducting underneath the glovebox compartment is broken up as well.

Saw the car yesterday for the first time in 4 weeks (took it to get sprayed mid July).

Engine was pulled out prior to going to him.

Bonnet has had the first coat of paint.  A couple of panels have come off and paint removed.

Still waiting on the windscreens to come out to check out the rust underneath.  I know that there are 2 areas that need attention.

Wanting to put some bolt on parts onto the engine which with the help of Joe have found myself onto an engineer that could help in the states.

Getting new heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, carby, camshaft and probably some porting done.

Looking at Performer 87cc heads from Edelbrock, Performer RPM manifold, 850cc Eledelbrock carby (still not sure yet if we are keeping the Rochester), and a mild cam.

Block is currently being cleaned up in Sydney ready for the additional parts.  The engine will be balanced in preperation for the increase in horsepower. 

Can't wait!!!  Goal is to increase HP from 200 to approximately 400.

Going to look at brake upgrades too to make her stop for those quarter mile trips down the strip. :8:

All new poly rubbers will be placed underneath the car as well.  I recently put new shocks on it.

Hoping to have it on the road by Feb next year ready for the 2013 Pontiac Nationals in shepparton.

Tommy

LeighP

• Rally Licence
Re: 1977 SE Trans Am - Re-spray and Engine Project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Sounds like a great plan. Let me know if I can help with anything.
You'll need a drop base aircleaner set up if you want to keep your shaker mounted on the aircleaner - if you use the RPM manifold...they are significantly taller than the the standard manifold...which are actually a pretty good design themselves.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

1977 Transam

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
Hi Leigh.

Definitely got the drop base aircleaner coming mate.  It was one of my first concerns to the engineer.  I want to keep the stock shaker height.

I'd love it if you could help me with the decals when the time comes up please Leigh.

I remember us talking many months ago about a day on the weekend with a bbq and what not with a few people.

I've heard nothing but good things about your talent with Decals.  :)

Tommy

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
No problem, Tommy....I've been reading up on these new plastic backed Phoenix Graphix decals....we'll get it done.
The pinstriping is going to be fun, yours will be the first SE I've done.  :32:
Regards,
Leigh

1977 Transam

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Hi Leigh.

Do you think we can get the plastic backed ones through 77TA.com if they are better than the stock decals.

Joe mentioned that he is a tonne cheaper and he uses Pheonix Graphics decals.

I guess we'll both be learning then with the SE decals.   :8:

I took a whole heap of photos before it got stripped back to give me an idea of where to re-apply them.

How's your car going?  I heard you managed to kick the engine over the other day.

Tommy.

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
You can buy the correct decal placement sheet for your 77 SE kit here.
And I thought mine had a lot of stickers on it  :bolt:

http://www.78ta.com/store/product.php?productid=49&cat=20&page=1

1977 Transam

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
Man you're good Joe. 

I didn't know that one existed.

Another thing on the shopping list. 

There are a lot of stickers.  One of the reasons why I was dreading this stage of the job.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
http://www.78ta.com/store/product.php?productid=55&cat=16&page=1

This is the right kit...choose the "Ultimate" kit to get the preformed pin stripes - better finished job, more like the factory stripes than using a roll of pin striping. The pin stripes are also laid out on the decal backing in the right way to get the correct centre spacing of the stripes etc.

PG are now using the plastic "pre-Mask" for these decals, which means they are slightly more difficult to apply, and require a longer drying time before attempting to remove the pre-mask from the decal.

I ordered this same kit from Brett at 78ta.com on behalf of the guy who bought my 77 T/A (he cloned it to an SE).
Regards,
Leigh

1977 Transam

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
Thanks mate. 

I'll be ordering them in the next couple of weeks.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333