Author Topic: SMS is finally settled in at the new place  (Read 39879 times)

silverz

• Speedster
Re: SMS is finally settled in at the new place
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
 :sorry:
Yeah Leigh, because of the engine change to the later model, the old LT1 exhaust wont adapt up to the LS1. Chris reckons the left side will be off the shelf but the right may have to be a modified unit maybe ex-US. Could be some cooling system issues later as the LT1 was reverse flow whereas the LS1 is normal flow. Worst case scenario here is a replacement radiator. Hope you guys have a great 'Top Gear' weekend and look forward to catchin' up when I get back on the road.
Cheers Bob.
 :way:

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
 :way:
“…and Behold! The pipes of extraction arrived at the temple of Seddon on the wings of Angels.” These ready chromed off the shelf extractors arrived ex-U.S. in about a week! Chris and Toby bolted them straight up with no clearance issues. I’ll try to attach some pics if not too large, showing the underside, mounts and special lo-profile sump. Still very busy at the new SMS Seddon St. shop with my Camaro, regular servicing, a Corvette rebuild and Eddie’s monster Ford truck chassis upgrade.
P.S. Thanks Chris for the great review of my novels. I can’t get to many events, (particularly nights) due to strata commitments for our CBD apartment business, but if any club member would like a free copy of my first novel, “Island in the Sky” let me know next time as I keep some in the car.
Cheers Bob.               www.tropicanapress.com.au

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »
Wow...NICE headers!  :cool:
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
Bob's Beast is Back!!

The doormat at SMS states, "We do it right the first time," and Chris reckons for each mechanic with a spark of genius, there's a dozen with ignition problems. Other workshops had the old adage over the door, "You don't have to be mad to work here but it helps." But when it's written in their own crap, it makes you wonder!  As I missed the Camaro, Chris "The Mopar Magician" and Toby "The Torque Tweaker" helped with reassuring comments like "if you're lookin' for sympathy it's in the dictionary between sh#t n syphilis" and "it can't fall off there's nothin' to stop it"! Without the Camaro I was deep in sensory deprivation, brushing up on my quantum physics boosted by the occasional therapeutic dose of Wild Turkey. Unfettered by motivation or ambition, I seemed destined to grow old disgracefully with the "Bingo, bowls 'n bex set". Following retirement, lap dance surgery and with the help of performance reducing drugs I was now house trained and even discarded my litter tray, but desperately missed my beloved Z28.

As a pilot, Chris says flying a chopper gives new meaning to 3D. Dull, Dirty and Dangerous, but then creates this 3D holy trinity of classic muscle car; Delirious! Dazzling and Dynamic! A survey from above or below reveals a very professional retrofit by SMS. The LS1 is a neat but snug fit with the low streamlined bonnet, a dropped coin ain't likely to pass through? Any serious work might require keyhole surgery or a gynecologist. The LS1 is more responsive and has extra power over the LT1 and some extra horses from the K&N intake filter system I fitted ex Dave Clee at USGMSP. This '96 coupe/LS1 combination might now be as rare as an eco-friendly E-type and rarer than an AC/DC Xmas album. The last time I told Susan I wanted something shiny that went from 0-100 in less than 4 seconds, she got me a set of bathroom scales.

What better test run than to the local "all you can eat off the floor", for a hearty slice of pork pavlova and a fish milkshake. I checked my floordrobe but my favourite "Who Farted" T-shirt was dirty. I was soon dodgin' tree huggin' Prius driver 'n smart cars (chrome coffins). So many nuts on the road I nearly went into Anaphylactic shock. One Genus Idiotus Simplicus in a weaving Subaru WTF (Wot The F#$%) was master of the calculated risk. After a bravado breakfast of ball bearings on toast, this Darwin award nominee was clearly seeking a block of granite with his name engraved on it. The census revealed there's 2.4 people per family, this guy had to be a .4?

I gunned the Camaro, ever ready to use my internal organs to cushion any impact. I suddenly had an out of body experience, my voice raised two octaves and I gay screamed for five seconds! The ass end of the Z developed a 10 Stella wobble and there was a strong smell of urine. Couldn't tell if it was burnout smoke or pot haze behind me, I mighta been methed out at the time? An unbelievable increase in power, bought back memories of my drag racing days in an altered '48 Studie! This could possibly be a 13 second car, even without options. There are still some minor issues to iron out, such as a speedo error, and the air-conditioning plumbing and recharge to be done in a few weeks time. Maybe in the meantime I'll get a cameo in "Fat 'n Furious 7"? Thanks Chris and Toby for a quality job but this time the Z28 is on notice. It went to the steering converters, it went to the engine converters. Any more problems and it's off to cash converters!

Cheers, Bob.  www.tropicanapress.com.au

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback Bob. I am very happy that all is good.
The reason why it took me so long to reply. I thought I wait till the dust settles, see if we still friends after 500 or so miles but it seems we have done everything right so it's safe to come out of the closet. It has been a challenge, we have done it and any of you guys want the same thing done to your LT1 Camaro........GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Just kidding.
I have done a lot of research how to do it the easiest and most economical way because it's been done before in the States. Apparently in the US just a matter of sourcing a Gen 111 crossmember out of a later model, get the correct engine mounts to suit, off the shelf headers and exhaust, matching wiring harness and computer and off you go. Unfortunatly in Bob's car some one decided to position the steering wheel to the wrong side, modified the crossmember to mount a steering rack out of a Chrysler New Yorker by turning it upside down ( why not a local Commodore for Chris't sake ) ran the steering shaft so close to the tired old LT1 so no chance of using off the shelf LS1 headers . Solution was to use original LS1 engine mounts and brackets, modify them to suit exsisting  crossmember, modify trans mount to suit Commodore four speed auto, modify torque bar with urathene bushes. Unfortunatly the off the shelf headers I have sourced from the US did not fit so we had to get a set made by Exhaust Perfection at Condell Park which fitted perfectly. We have used the original harness and engine management that came with the donor car, integrated it with the Camaro's instrument's. All we had to do was to disable original security and calibrate speedo which took one hour on the dyno. It was a 2005 Calais by the way.   Modified BMW steering rack with fabricated mounts, repositioned and fine tuned to eliminate bump steer. Managed to retain original ride height which was already in the weeds, steering is very firm and responsive like driving a Beemer.
As for performance....we all know the potential of LS engines. If Bob thinks it makes him pee in his pants now wait till we do a MAFless tune, install a Paxton supercharger and a 200 hp nitrous kit....... As you would know...Sky is the limit Bob!

Happy cruising for now...... :thank:   

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
Hi Chris,
    Apologies for the long delay as we are moving house in a few weeks so hadn't got the chance to really give the Z a high speed run. It's all running great and interesting to hear some of the behind the scenes detail above. How embarrassing but, to return the car for follow up fixes only to find both were pre-existing conditions. For those interested in some of Chris's trouble shooting, the steering rack was upgraded to BMW as the original conversion rack had wear induced steering wobble. I noticed there was still a minor wobble after the new rack was fitted. It turns out the original rack wear wobble was also masking a warped front brake disc. This car had never had a combination of new discs and new pads and so with the newer 19" alloys there were last minute clearance issues. With some clever and tricky solutions by Chris and Toby all vibration and clearance issues were sorted without resorting to spacers.
    The other issue was a scary vibration that progressively got worse from 80kph up through 120kph when the whole car felt like it would shake apart! Who couldn't blame me for thinking the driveline was misaligned or the shortened tailshaft was out of balance? I have had the Camaro up to 210kph, (under strict safety conditions, of course ....or was it the M4?). With its streamlined nose, 2% drag coefficient and a 22 degree raked screen, there is no wind noise, no vibration and only a bit of engine and tyre rumble. I don't know how you found it Chris, (clicked the heels of your magic red slippers 3 times?) but again another pre-existing condition! At some stage in the past the mag wheels had been refitted without the centering hub rings! Once I refitted these it was an instant $20 fix!
    Interestingly while chasing hub rings, I found a company, BSA wheels at Norman St Peakhurst who handle all sorts of machining related to wheels, spacers and axles. They offered to machine up custom rings on the spot for around $100. Mine turned out to be off the shelf at Bob Janes. I have now tried the car out up to around 125kph without any vibrations. I was going so fast I thought I saw a vapour trail? (or bladder control issues again?). I was tempted to try the Rolls Royce "balance the pencil smoothness test" but didn't want to drop my Chiko roll or spill my cappuccino.
Thanks again Chris and Toby.
Cheers, Bob. www.tropicanapress.com.au

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
I've seen a couple of cars "fixed" of vibrations by fitting hubcentric rings.....nice to see it was a cheap fix.  :exactly:
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Jethro

• Speedster
Re: SMS is finally settled in at the new it register
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Hey Chris, Me and the Mrs are looking at going to the states next year and while over there might look at picking up half decent a C10 and sending it back for the young bloke (he;s a apprentice chippy)  been looking at C10's for sale at say about 10K to purchase, then 3 -4 k bring back ? Mick And Yvette   and say 2k getting it up and registered ? what say thee ?

Jethro
[img width=200 height=150]https://americanmusclecarsaustralia.com/forum/signatures/J

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »
sounds like a good plan to me! What year u thinkin?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
Hi Jethro,
What model C10 are you thinking about?
The reason I am asking because if it's before '72 it makes it a very simple process to register since only a couple of ADR's applicable. It will still cost roughly 2k for initial rego thanks to stamp duty and number plate issue. Also your green slip is higher because first time rego.

Cheers, Chris.   

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333