Author Topic: Valve Saver Fluid  (Read 12660 times)

Rod1448

Valve Saver Fluid
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi, Can someone out there please enlighten me to weather I need to add the Flash Lube to the fuel when I fill up or not. I recently purchased a 1969 Ford Torino GT and the previous owner stated that he used the valve saver fluid when filling up so I went out and purchased a 5lt bottle of the stuff to use as it is a lot cheaper than buying it from the servo every time I fill up.

I have heard that I don't need it in my engine but I'm not sure now. This is what I have under the bonnet.
* 351 Windsor block bored and stroked to 414CI
* Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake
* Headers are Doug's, ceramic coated tri-y units
* Converted to fuel injection, Megasquirt III ECU, Holley 900 CFM throttle body with 85lb injectors
* Walbro fuel pump

The above is from the email the guy that did it up in the states gave the previous owner.

What I want to know is, do I need Flash Lube or not and since I've already purchased a 5lt container of the stuff if I don't need it, is it beneficial to use what I have or not bother. Thanks for any help.

Cheers
Rod :cheers:

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: Valve Saver Fluid
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I've used LPG in cars that don't have hardend valve seats (in one case 200,000 miles) and the heads have been fine.  Just my opinion, the stuff does nothing.  Also, again just my opinion, unleaded fuel doesn't hurt your heads.  What causes valve seat recession in cylinder heads is running a lean mixture that causes excessive heat.

Many years ago, I spoke to a guy called John Sawruk.  He was a mechanical engineer who worked for the Pontiac division of GM, specifically in cylinder head design.  I asked him about the whole hardend valve seat and unleaded petrol thing and his explanation was that unleaded petrol was not a cause of valve seat recession, however, the introduction of unleaded petrol coincided with the beginning of the 'smog' era, where pollution controls were being placed on engines to try to 'clean them up'.  One of the ways they attempted to reduce emissions was to lean out the air/fuel mixture.  This was the reason they introduced hardend valve seats.

Once again, just my view. 

Rod1448

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
Thanks Bonnevista,

Very interesting theory regarding the 'smog' era.

I guess that since the Edelbrock alloy heads were purchase in the states around 2004-5 they probably have hardened valve seats and as you said the valve saver fluid probably does nothing or very little.  Is their many members out there that don't bother using it at all?

Cheers
Rod

birdman

• Rally Licence
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rod1448,i used to use flash lube in my muzzy with a 289,4barrel carb,cobrajet manifold...not knowing if my heads have been redone with hardened valve seats,it used to foul the plugs and run a little rough...always used BP 95 or Caltex 95.now without using the lube it runs smoother more responsive and leaner...

Rod1448

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Thanks thebirdman68,

I think I might stop using it and see what happens as it currently runs a little rich. I may get a similar result as you did with your muzzy.

Cheers
Rod

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
Is their many members out there that don't bother using it at all?

Cheers
Rod

I don't know anyone that uses it.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Hi Rod.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry a little late to jump in with my experience. Let me straighten things out for you. In the good old US of A they have been using unleaded fuel since 1973-74. Therefore all engines during that era and after had cylinder heads fitted with hardened valve seats to compansate for the lack of lead in the fuel which helped cooling the valve seats. Since your car is a 1969 you would have to use the lead substitute otherwise you would risk of burning valve seats.
HOWEVER....... You are running late model Edelbrock alloy heads which I have been using on nearly every engine I built for the last 10 years due to their superior design and value for money. They are all fitted with hardened seats and stainless valves so you can virtually run any fuel as long as your compression ratio allows. To be on the safe side though I strongly recommend minimum 95 since better quality and cleaner fuel.
I hope this helps.

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Rod1448

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to explain things for me. I didn't know that in the US they started using unleaded fuel back in the early to mid '70's, I'll have to remember if I buy another American car.   At least I now know that the alloy heads in my car do have hardened seats.

Anyway I have been using 98 fuel with the additive but today I topped her up with out the additive, I'm hoping she will run a little smoother and leaner as thebirdman68 stated but I guess that will probably take at least another fill to get rid of most of the valve saver fluid from the system.

Cheers
Rod

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333