Author Topic: Shell fuel  (Read 17722 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Shell fuel
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »
Hello boys and girls!
I am still around, still busy fixing neglected Mustangs.
Just a quick reminder about using the correct fuel in your chariot. Some people still unaware of using Shell fuel in carburated muscle cars. IT IS A NO NO. Shell has been adding some bullsh#t additive into their fuel since the early 2000 which attacks some rubber and synthetic components in your fuel system causing instant misfire and rough running in your V8. So... if you have experienced similar problems after you have refuelled from Shell....this is your problem. Drain your fuel system if you can and replace it with Caltex, Mobil or Texaco(good luck) 95 or 98 nothing less. non of that potato based crap ethanol sh#t that only makes you fart..........pretty much that's it.
If you need more assistance don't hesitate to call me on 02 9793 3332.
Cheers.
Chris. 

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

birdman

• Rally Licence
Re: Shell fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
Chris  :exactly: what you said,i always use Caltex or BP...Never liked Shell from years ago,it's foul on the nose...

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »
Interesting, I've used the Shell V-power or what used to be called Optimax, on carby cars and not had any issues.
I basically don't use it much now because I get a Woollies discount on 98 octane at the local Woollies pump.
I wonder what the additive is?
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
Do you really want to know what the additive is?........Believe it or not......it's ETHANOL to get the octane rating up.
I am not kidding..... :cry:

Phone 02 9793 3332

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
I did a little reading, there was a V-power Racing version of the fuel rated at 100 octane....the Shell website mentioned that ethanol was added to that to bump the octane rating. It also mentioned that its been discontinued.
I wonder if the buggers also sneak a bit of E into the 98 octane V-power, too???????

Admittedly, this comes fro ma Wikipedia post, but it covers all the countries where Shell sells V-power.
In Australia, from October 2006, Shell and Coles Express re-branded Optimax to V-Power (98 RON). V-Power Racing, the ultra-high performance variant has a rating of 100 RON although Shell have decided to phase out V-Power Racing from 21 July to mid August 2008, instead recommending V-Power.[2] The previously obtainable higher grade V-Power Racing which contained 5% ethanol to boost V-Power's octane rating to 100 RON has now been phased out by Shell due to a "changing market".
Unquote

From a Shell press release...
Moving forward, Shell V-Power will be Shell's premium performance fuel, available at selected Coles Express sites in Qld, NSW, VIC and SA. Shell V-Power is developed with Ferrari and is designed to improve the performance of many modern engines. Shell V-Power’s Friction Modification Technology (FMT) aids this. FMT is designed to help the engine turn more freely, and so help transfer energy from the fuel to the wheels more efficiently.
Unquote

Perhaps this magic "FMT" additive is the one causing the problem?
Regards,
Leigh

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
You are a legend Leigh!... :thumb:
I really appreciate for taking the extra effort by doing some research into Shell's misleading crap about friction modified fuel. I knew about it years ago and I can tell you it's one of the biggest croack of bullsh#t conspiracy any fuel company could come up with to conceal their failure. How do you explain a friction modified fuel to a carby guy with a highly modified big block?....My ass! the only moving part in a carburetted muscle car's fuel system is the electric fuel pump if you have one but today you can buy a mechanical fuel pump for any V8 that will support up to 1000 hp. So whats the point in having an electric pump needing friction modified fuel. It's all good if you own a Ferrari or a Lambo with factory fuel system that you can pump Hydrachloric acid through without damaging fuel lines or injectors. It seems Shell has no intensions of catering for the vintage or muscle car fraternity.
Suits me, there are plenty of Mobil, BP or Caltex servos left........for now.      :burnout:   

Phone 02 9793 3332

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »
Filled up with Mobil 98 for the run today, sounded good, felt strong.  :thank:
Regards,
Leigh

birdman

• Rally Licence
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
Today i needed to fill up my daily drive with 95RON Caltex,My local had run out,so on to the next one,same again run out,lucky it was on quarter tank,i cruised on to 2 others and the same reply,sorry RUN OUT...NOT GOOD enough...I also noticed they have done away with supplying the 98RON fuel also...NOT GOOD either...So off i went to the local BP...  :bow: No problem,plenty of fuel at BP  :burnout:

Rod1448

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the shell 98 had Ethanol. I normally use Caltex or Shell for the discount vouchers but I will now stop using Shell and stick to Caltex 98, just in case.

birdman

• Rally Licence
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
I normally use Caltex or Shell for the discount vouchers but I will now stop using Shell and stick to Caltex 98, just in case.
Hi Rod1448,i don't know what area your located but in mine the Caltex servos havn't had any 95 RON for a couple of weeks.Lucky i have the BP servos as back up...

Cheers
John

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333