Tech Talk & Articles > AMCCA Members Tech Talk

Shell fuel

(1/3) > >>

sms777:
Hello boys and girls!
I am still around, still busy fixing neglected Mustangs.
Just a quick reminder about using the correct fuel in your chariot. Some people still unaware of using Shell fuel in carburated muscle cars. IT IS A NO NO. Shell has been adding some bullsh#t additive into their fuel since the early 2000 which attacks some rubber and synthetic components in your fuel system causing instant misfire and rough running in your V8. So... if you have experienced similar problems after you have refuelled from Shell....this is your problem. Drain your fuel system if you can and replace it with Caltex, Mobil or Texaco(good luck) 95 or 98 nothing less. non of that potato based crap ethanol sh#t that only makes you fart..........pretty much that's it.
If you need more assistance don't hesitate to call me on 02 9793 3332.
Cheers.
Chris. 

birdman:
Chris  :exactly: what you said,i always use Caltex or BP...Never liked Shell from years ago,it's foul on the nose...

LeighP:
Interesting, I've used the Shell V-power or what used to be called Optimax, on carby cars and not had any issues.
I basically don't use it much now because I get a Woollies discount on 98 octane at the local Woollies pump.
I wonder what the additive is?

sms777:
Do you really want to know what the additive is?........Believe it or not......it's ETHANOL to get the octane rating up.
I am not kidding..... :cry:

LeighP:
I did a little reading, there was a V-power Racing version of the fuel rated at 100 octane....the Shell website mentioned that ethanol was added to that to bump the octane rating. It also mentioned that its been discontinued.
I wonder if the buggers also sneak a bit of E into the 98 octane V-power, too???????

Admittedly, this comes fro ma Wikipedia post, but it covers all the countries where Shell sells V-power.
In Australia, from October 2006, Shell and Coles Express re-branded Optimax to V-Power (98 RON). V-Power Racing, the ultra-high performance variant has a rating of 100 RON although Shell have decided to phase out V-Power Racing from 21 July to mid August 2008, instead recommending V-Power.[2] The previously obtainable higher grade V-Power Racing which contained 5% ethanol to boost V-Power's octane rating to 100 RON has now been phased out by Shell due to a "changing market".
Unquote

From a Shell press release...
Moving forward, Shell V-Power will be Shell's premium performance fuel, available at selected Coles Express sites in Qld, NSW, VIC and SA. Shell V-Power is developed with Ferrari and is designed to improve the performance of many modern engines. Shell V-Power’s Friction Modification Technology (FMT) aids this. FMT is designed to help the engine turn more freely, and so help transfer energy from the fuel to the wheels more efficiently.
Unquote

Perhaps this magic "FMT" additive is the one causing the problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version