Author Topic: Shelby front suspension mod  (Read 5280 times)

ThunderKiss

Shelby front suspension mod
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:57:09 PM »
Has anyone heard of, or done, this modification?

Apparently lowering the mounting point of your front upper control arms by 1" improves front end geometry during turns, giving a better tyre contact patch with the road, as well as lowering the front of the car around 3/4"

I'm considering doing this but every suspension shop I talk to (all two of them) don't want to know about it. I could do it myself but once the holes are drilled there's no going back.

I'd like to hear people’s opinions on this mod.

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »
I am sure someone from the mustang section will reply to your question T/K
  See Ya Garry. :cool:
Past And Present Cars

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
Thats been mentioned in every book I've read on the some hot Mustangs. I used to be into Fords before I saw the light and was priviledged enough to become the owner of Pontiacs.
I believe it induces a little more camber into the stub.
This is an "old school" modification....these days there are lots of aftermarket control arms around that alter front geometry for better handling, yet bolt into the stock suspension location points......I'd research those and leave the cars mounting holes stock, rather than modifying the car.....then it turns out you aren't happy - you're stuck with it.
From memory, some Boss mustangs used this lower upper arm mounting mod.....might only be the 429.....not 100% on that...been a long time since I read Mustang/Ford literature.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333