Author Topic: TIME LAPSE ROAD TRIP - 1971  (Read 4008 times)

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
TIME LAPSE ROAD TRIP - 1971
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
WoW how things have changed!

In recent weeks there’s been plenty of talk about road extensions and bypasses.
We’ve had a group of MPs petitioning their own government to build the F6 extension, flooding issues at Albion Park that highlight the need for a bypass there, and work beginning on the Berry stage of the Princes Highway upgrades.
We get frustrated that some of these roads aren’t already there - but a look into the past shows how far we’ve come.

Reader Alan Bond has posted a video that shows time-lapse footage of a trip from Revesby to Burrill Lake in 1971.
That’s before the F6 between Waterfall and Bulli Tops existed - it was a year into construction and you can see hints of that in this video.

It was a time when the Picton Road intersection looked like a country road.
A time when the F6 ended at Five Islands Road, rather than heading down to Yallah. A time when a trip down south meant going past the steelworks and through Warrawong.
A time before the Kiama Bypass, where motorists had to negotiate the Minnamurra bends, drive stop-start through Kiama itself, tackle the Kiama bends and then drive further south on a two-lane highway.
As Mr Bond points out at the end of the video, the trip in 1971 took four hours. Today we can do it in just over half that time.

Things have already changed quite a lot.

SOURCE: Illawarra Mercury

Click Image For Our Website

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: TIME LAPSE ROAD TRIP - 1971
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
That was great I like to see more of them

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
When I was 8 years old in 1969, we drove to the Snowy Mountains for a holiday.  It was a 2 day (more like 1 1/2 day) trip.  We left from Manly early in the morning and arrived at a motel in Canberra at night...   

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »
 :omg: when I was young (younger  :rol: ) we went to the Snowy Mountains to, we drove all that way to find that we could not get a Motel anywhere, lucky our family car at that time was a Chevy Impala, Mum, Dad and us 4 kids all sleep in the car and from what I recall it was not so squeezy  :burnout:
Click Image For Our Website

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
Funny thing is, all that was pretty familiar......I remember those roads. They weren't much changed a few years later when I got my licence.

Yeah, I also remember those Snowy trips that were a 2 day drive down there....motel overnighters with the neat cooked motel breakfast coming on a tray through the food service door in the wall....remember those?
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333