Author Topic: LS1 tuning  (Read 7577 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
LS1 tuning
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
I've spoken to Chris briefly about this, I may need to look at this in a little more detail in the near future, however, for now, I thought I'd post the question to get everyone else's opinion (if you've had some experience with this)...

I have a 1998 Firebird Formula (RAM AIR) with the LS1 motor in it...

It's done about 100,000 km's and is fairly original, as far as the engine, intake, exhaust goes.

It's truly an amazing car on the open road, but in built up traffic, it drinks a lot.

I've been told that the fuel consumption can be greatly reduced with a MAF less tune? Now, I've taken a look at where the screen is in front of the MAF and it catches bugs pretty good, so I think removing the screen would not be a great idea...
I'd prefer not to muck about with the motor too much, are there other options that would improve fuel consumption in city driving, without doing a MAFless tune...would a basic tune be enough? What are your recommendations, I'd like to ensure that what ever gets done can 1. keep the car fairly original, 2. be reliable, dependable and 3. any mods to improve fuel consumption can be a real return on investment (backed up with real city driving experience would be good)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Re: LS1 tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
You could have just asked me again........There is nothing better than MAFless tune. The little screen in the MAF sensor is only there to protect the tiny sensor wire sitting behind it. The MAFless tune means totally removing the whole unit and replacing it with an empty pipe running between your air cleaner and throttle body. Did I just mention air cleaner? Thats the thingy that sits near your radiator before your MAF sensor. So by removing the MAF your air cleaner will stay intact. After removing the MAF the tuner will install a MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor which works off a vacuum port on your intake manifold. It generally costs all up around $1000 and takes half a day. You will end up with a smoother running and more responsive engine with at least 25% fuel saving.
Talk to Sam at Sam's Performance at Greenacre, just make sure you mention my name.   :thumb:

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
Thanks Chris,
I suppose the reason I am asking around is because there seems to be so many varying opinions about this one.
Some people seem to indicate that MAFless is mostly about high performance, not really for go slow stop start.

It would be great to know the difference between MAFless and just a "normal" tune. Is the MAFless tune better purely because the MAF is not there at all, or is there more to it than that? There does not seem to be much difference between the cost of a "tune" and MAFless tune anyway...?

The only thing I was concerned about with the MAF screen is that if it's not there, I'd imagine lots of crap would get into the engine?

Either way, I will talk to Sam, for sure. I will also be talking to you soon about other minor things needing sorting out my car, but for now, I'm just researching the options.. thanks again.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
The MAF set up is fine, for a stock or near stock engine......for a wider "tunability" on a performance engine, MAP is better.....heck, even HSV ran MAP tunes on some of their cars.

I had a TPI injected 350 in a 70 Camaro....ran a Haltech ECM with MAP.....ran great, certainly couldn't complain about the drivability or the fuel consumption.

The screen associated with the MAF is to protect the MAF sensor wire only. Your airfliter is what cleans the intake air of any dust......removing the MAF will have no effect on the cleanliness of the air entering the engine.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »
Thanks Leigh...

Seems that no matter what I do with it, to gain maximum fuel efficiency a proper tune is the right thing to do... I will be saving up some money over the next year or so, I'll put some money aside each time I get paid to the "tuning fund"  :smile:

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
What Chris said
I had an LS1 6 speed manual VT commodore went up to just over 300 kw with the tune,way more flexible and fuel economy better than stock ......do some reading ,GM are known for making the cars run to rich,real world experience also Speak to Jim Campbell he has an aftermarket tune in his HSV

A maffless tune is simply the best possible mod you can do to an LS1 ...bang for buck you WILL save but dont expect the same economy that you get out of your Subaru

I remember a conversation with you and said if you have found a decent mechanic trust him and do not go the same route that you went down years ago

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
"I remember a conversation with you and said if you have found a decent mechanic trust him and do not go the same route that you went down years ago"

yes indeed... I am only dealing with Chris from sms now (he has my car at the moment) as for the tune, he recommended Sam's Performance, not far from here. Since my car is sick right now and my work situation is a little quiet, the "tune" is going to have to wait, it's not a cheap option, but sounds like one worth pursuing.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333