Author Topic: my car has a flu???  (Read 6703 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
my car has a flu???
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
Took the car out yesterday, no problems. Took it out today, it was cold outside and it started dying on me. Engine started coughing, warning lights started showing up, kept driving for a while, slowed down to stop and the engine cut out before coming to a stop.

Tried many times to re-start it and it cranked, it did not light up... only after many attempts (praying that the battery would hold out) it finally started. Drove it home, hoping it would not cark it. Made it home, thankfully... but again, engine cut out before stopping, tried cranking it... took a few minutes, got it running again, long enough to put it into the garage. Engine cut out again. Tried cranking it a few more times, gave up.

Poop.

Part of me says, I hope it's just bad fuel... but then again, this does not make it any easier to sort out. Any other suggestions? Looks like a phone call to Chris on Monday, would be good to get some home remedies though, I will try and start it up again tomorrow.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: my car has a flu???
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
Plugs fouled? Bad Petrol? Fuel filter? Injectors?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »
Just a thought - I had similar symptoms a while ago, and after a lot of fiddling found that it was a breakdown in a couple of plug leads due to age - started cutting out once warmed up & once cooled down car would start & run til warmed up again. Just a thought....

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:26 AM »
Relax guys!........The flu has been caused by the fuel pump. It is getting replaced as we speak.
Interesting part about it is that GM has failed to make access to it so to remove it first you have to remove entire exhaust system, then Diff assembly then whole rear suspension then fuel tank so you can get it out from inside the tank. About 10 hours labour......I thought bugger that......Got permission from owner to cut a 10" x 12" panel out of the boot floor on top of fuel tank and guess what....instant access! Once done simply reseal with slightly larger piece of sheet metal and secure it with small screws so it can be removed next time when fuel pump fails again. All up about 3 hours labour but next time should be around 1 hour to replace pump.
Anyone has one of these machines I am happy to send drawing where to cut hole to get to fuel pump.

Cheers, Chris.     

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
Chris  :thank:

you shold also let everyone know about the fuel pump "plan b" - let's hope that will turn out to my advantage (and anyone else's)
 :cool:

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
That "hole in the floor" is a popular alternative to ripping the car apart.....I've heard tell a number of people handle it the same way.  :exactly:
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
It's interesting that people are adopting the 'sensible' option of putting an access hole in the car to change the fuel pump. :cheers: 
When I worked at Ponti World 20 years ago, I suggested to owners of 3rd gens that they do this so they didn't have to go through all the drama.   
The response of most of the 3rd gen owners was 'underwhelming' to say the least, as back then, they thought they were driving 'automotive royalty' and how dare I suggest such a thing. :omg:
At the end of the day, changing a fuel pump is something that everyone will have to do.  The access hole in the boot is something that the factory should've already fitted.   

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
Hey Z.....
Plan B is highly classified. I won't even tell you until you get my bill.......Just kidding.
The factory replacement pump was going to cost $500+ and around 2-3 weeks wait ex US. I have found an aftermarket replacement which only needed minor mods to fit, cost around $200+. Back on the road tomorrow.

Cheers all.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Re: my car is starving... feed it!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
Well, when it comes to modifications, there are modifications, then there are improvements, that require modifications.

I'm all in favour of improvements, especially when they save money and time.  :giggle:

I know the car is in good hands...

Chris - I'm out on site all day tomorrow, trying to earn some money so that I can pay for your hard work... any clues of the heat issue yet? Perhaps it's time to check the heater control valve?

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333