Author Topic: DEX-COOL (Coolant)  (Read 5540 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
DEX-COOL (Coolant)
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
I have just read the user manual for my 1998 Firebird (LS1) and it states that I should be using DEX-COOL coolant.

I would like to give my radiator a flush but I need to know what coolant I should use.

I want to stick with what the manual recommends, however, it does not seem to be available here...? Or do I need to get it from a GM dealer? If I can't get it, can anyone 100% confirm what coolant I should be using?

PVC

Re: DEX-COOL (Coolant)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
You can get it from Holden and or try Dave at Ponti world.

You can also use Nulon Red long life coolant it conforms to the specs.

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »
Thanks!

I've also been learning about the different types of coolant and it would seem that the coolant that is in there at the moment is the standard green colour and apparently it is very bad if you mix this with the other colour coolant types, so I am getting a little nervous about doing this one, I'm worried about what might happen if the flushing does not get rid of all the existing coolant and mixes with the new coolant...

What happened to the good old days of filling up your radiator with wee or water? ;-)

PVC

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
Its easy to flush out remove the heater hoses while doing it and flush out the heater core and keep running water through it until its clear. If you can get to the thermostat remove it also and flush from the top of engine.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333