Author Topic: Pre purchase inspection of your dream car  (Read 9366 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Pre purchase inspection of your dream car
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have been approached by muscle car enthusiasts several times if I was available travelling with them to inspect a car that they were interested in buying. I have nearly 40 years experience with American cars, not all muscle but it qualifies me as an enthusiast and expert when it comes restoring or modifying them so when someone ask a question with my best knowledge they will get an educated answer......anyways I know my sh#t.
A few weeks ago I was approached by a club member if I can travel with him to Tassie to look at a nice '70 Camaro that he found on Carsales. After serious thoughts I said yes. It was a day trip, we have arrived 10 am in Hobart, got to the Camaro owners place by 11 am, went over the car in 1 hour, the car was as described so we made the deal had a really nice lunch on the harbour, back at the airport by 3 pm, back in Sydney by 6 pm, all good. Customer flew back two days later, drove Camaro back all the way to Sydney with big grin on his face, did not miss a beat. Very satisfied, could not thank me enough.

So I thought.......Why not try and offer my services to all interested parties so you can all take advantage of my expertise to make sure you don't get ripped off by ebay and internet sharks.
You pay all my expenses including airfares, all meals,(I love my fish) and accomodation if overnigth stay and small daily fee (like a daily wage). I will guarantee to save you thousands in unforseen future restoration bills.
I am willing to travel anywhere in Australia or will consider overseas if you are desperate.

Think about it, I am offering my services as an enthusiast not as an entrepreneuer.

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Re: Pre purchase inspection of your dream car
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »
I think this is a fab idea!
Nothing beats having an expert on hand... but not just an expert, a "level head" for those purchases that most car lovers would get emotional about, it would be really great to have you there Chris!

That's really a nice thing to offer!

silverz

• Speedster
Re: Pre purchase inspection of your dream car
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
 :way:
Great idea Chris! Beneficial for both you and prospective buyers. Since retiring from Virgin, I have also been dabbling in “consultancy” but on light aircraft sales instead. Also keeps my license current and me topped up with American Wild Honey, (Doc told me at my age to keep my fluids up). I charge 0.5% of purchase price commission for a 4 hour “panels off” exterior structural check. (Guaranteeing the bug smashers can reach their crash sites?)
As a pilot, you probably realise some older Cessnas and Pipers are now cheaper than a similar vintage Camaro or Mustang. I now make sure I get an upfront deposit after I travelled to Bathurst to find the buyer had changed his mind! Beware of litigation issues as well. I had a guy buy a Beechcraft then badmouthed me after they found low compression on one cylinder. He had stated prior that a mate had ground run and test flown the aircraft, so advised me that he didn’t need a compression check. Buyer beware! Anyway, good luck with it and hope it’s advantageous to all concerned.
Cheers, Bob.
www.tropicanapress.com.au

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333