Author Topic: The Princess loves Sapphire…  (Read 2799 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
The Princess loves Sapphire…
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »
I recently took a drive from Sydney to Melbourne via Merimbula, unfortunately not in my Pontiac, however, the drive between Sydney to Merimbula is absolutely superb.

Starting from Padstow, my wife and our two kids went off on our first really big road trip together. We packed a heap of clothes, nappies and toys and headed out via Heathcote Rd, driving past Wollongong (sorry Dave, no time to visit) and we drove the Sapphire coast along the Princess Highway.

The best thing about the drive was the weather, superb springtime sunshine and cool air to keep it nice and comfortable during the long drive. The roads where surprisingly good and what surprised me the most was the lack of traffic, since this was school holiday season and I would have expected it to be very busy, but there where times where we where the only car to be seen for miles!

So, we drove along the windy, smooth roads, through small towns, beautiful coastal areas, lush trees and relaxing scenery, until we reached half way to Merimbula, a small coastal peninsular, with ocean on one side and lakes on the other.

After a well needed sleep, we took the kids to Magic Mountain, a fun park packed with rides, mini golf and water slides only 1 minute from the centre of town. Again, it was surprisingly quiet for school holiday season, we where told it gets very busy during summer, but with the weather being so fantastic, I could not understand why more families would not be there in hordes!

So after a day of frivolity the kids where worn out enough to sleep another night there and travel onward the next day. We stopped at Lakes Entrance for some fish and chips (yum-oh!) and stretched our legs a little. I would have loved to have stuck to the coast and kept going, but we continued on the Princess all the way to Melbourne. The second part of the drive was nowhere near as nice. Not so much to see once you pass the Victorian border. I also would have loved to have extended the drive onto the Great Ocean Road, but there was family and friends to see in Melbourne and limited time. We stayed in Melbourne, then drove back to Canberra, stayed there two nights, then came home.

Along the Sapphire coast is an excellent drive and I did notice a few hot rods cruising in the other direction and I was a little green with envy, but I have to say, for anyone willing to “go the distance”, from here in Sydney along the coast I would highly recommend as a cruise, a holiday or just a destination. Very nice indeed!

Ness70Nova

• Top Fuel Pilot
  • Vanessa Goldstein
Re: The Princess loves Sapphire…
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
 :way:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333