Author Topic: 1977 Transam - Smoke Coming out of Shaker  (Read 7102 times)

1977 Transam

1977 Transam - Smoke Coming out of Shaker
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
Hi everyone.

Been a long time since I've been online.  Finally got NBN Satellite out my way 2 days ago.

I am having issues with my 77 Transam and I was hoping to brain storm with you to see what the issue might be.

I've got smoke coming out of the transams shaker after I run the car for approx. 30 minutes.  During that time she goes like a rocket but then she starts to cough with immediate loss of power and then it comes to a stand still.  Temp gauge doesn't go up whilst all this is happening.

Thought it was a fuel contamination issue but it's been checked and also the points on the distributor has been cleaned.

Not sure if it's the MSD Electronic ignition causing issues.  Someone mentioned timing the other day.

I'm not sure what to try next.  Was hoping to narrow it down before spending any more money on it.

Funds are a bit slim since starting farming (although expected).

Looking forward to hearing responses.

Thanks.

Tommy

Bfit

• P Plater
Re: 1977 Transam - Smoke Coming out of Shaker
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:42 PM »
id be checking the valve setting to start .
Bfit

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
Hi Tommy,
It would be very unlikely that smoke comes out of the shaker while the engine is running. If it does however it could be caused by a stuck PCV valve sucking in oil from the rocker cover. It could be also from excessive blow by from the crank case which is indication of a more serious problem like broken or worn piston rings. If it backfires then dies you will get smoke coming back through the carby and out the shaker. In that case get your timing checked, your distributor may have moved causing an over advanced situation.  Very hard to diagnose without seeing.
Can you get your car to me? 

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

1977 Transam

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

It's just the smallest puff of smoke when it actually dies.  Sorry I should have been more detailed.

As it turns off it does the puff of smoke.  No backfiring though.

First sign is power backing off even with foot to the ground.  You can then back the foot off, try and put it down and it's like it's fighting to get the power but having coughing fits, you do it again and it takes off like a rocket.  A few more times with this happening and power is all but completely gone.  Happened the other day after half an hour of 100+km driving and then luckily a couple of streets from home it happened.  We ran her slowly home the last 2 streets and she died in the driveway (Luckily).  Won't start up afterwards.  Mary tried kicking it over last night with a brand new yellow top battery.  Nothing.  Just cranks but doesn't start.

Runs solid prior though.  If it was warn piston rings, timing or distributor for eg wouldn't it run shocking the whole time?  It's been a discussion between Mary and I.  If something was off for example a setting, or a cylinder not working, she wouldn't run right at all I'm guessing.  Would be lacking power.  When we had it sent to a mechanic around here because we thought we picked up water in our fuel at a service station, he said no to contamination in the fuel but said he needed to clean the points on the distributor.  Said it would take a bit of running to clear it's throat and run properly and to run it for half hour or so and things should be back to normal.  This is the reason why I took it for a half hour drive.

Started out slow and then opened her up on the country roads.  But before we knew it she had the same symptoms as she did when it went to the mechanic.

Wish I could get it to Sydney for a checkup but she wouldn't make it that far and can't afford towing.

It's a shame because it's hard to find good old school mechanics.  I don't know people out this way at Bathurst.

I'll have to research what a pcv valve is.  Still got a lot to learn about mechanics.

Appreciate both your help.

Tommy

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Hey Tommy,
Maybe a stupid question but you do have fuel in the tank, right?.............don't trust the fuel gauge.
Another thought......how come you got points dizzy? By 1972 all US cars were electronic. You should have the big HEI dizzy with the built in coil on top. 

Phone 02 9793 3332

1977 Transam

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
No such thing as a silly question.  He he.  Definitely has fuel though.

It's got the MSD Ignition System on it.  Lack of knowledge about this system though Chris.  Butler Performance recommended it so I put it on.

Thanks.

Tommy

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »
Can you post a photo of your engine bay with the shaker removed? Try to get a close up on the dizzy, if possible remove the cap and a photo of it's internals. I may be able to spot something out of the ordinary. I have a feeling the problem is around the electricals.
Cheers.

Phone 02 9793 3332

1977 Transam

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »
Hi Chris.

I'll be in town on Wednesday so I'll be able to get access to the car then and take some snaps.

Please bare with me.

Thanks.

Tommy

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »
Relax Tommy!....take your time. I got half a dozen Mustangs to worry about at the moment so I can wait. On the other hand I am looking forward to fixing a real car for a change.... :bolt: (I hope no one from the Mustang forum reading this).... :bats: 

Phone 02 9793 3332

1977 Transam

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
He he.  I'd be happy to have any muscle car.  Especially one that's working.  Feel free to donate the mustangs my way.   :cool:

I'm probably being a bit harsh on my ride.  She's run without skipping a beat for about 5 years.

She has the right to be sick every now and then.  Probably just got the flu from going through her first Bathurst winter.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333