Tech Talk & Articles > AMCCA Members Tech Talk

Flashing brake lights are now illegal!!!

(1/3) > >>

sms777:
This has been in force for over 12 months now but not many people aware of it. RMS has only notified the safety examiners that issue pink/blue slips but never told the public. If your classic US muscle still has indicators flashing with brake lights it is now subject to a defect notice.
This is a subtract I have received from RMS last year. It is dated 29/3/2017.
Quote:
"In accordance with the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2007, Schedule 2, Regulation 124 and Australian Design Rule 13, flashing brake lights are not permitted. Vehicles should be failed under Rule 106.2 and comment flashing brake light. For further information please contact Technical Enquiries on 1300 137 302 or send an email to technical.enquiries@rms.nsw.gov.au"
For some vehicles it is fairly simple to separate brakes from indicators but how about unique situations like a '60's Thunderbird with sequential tail lights. I rang RMS regarding this.......answer was..... too bad. :banghead:

LeighP:
Bloody stupid...but what do you expect from these clowns?
So now I have to hack around the new wiring on the 69 Firebird to split the flahsers out of the brake lights. Lucky you can buy white/amber switch back LED globes these days....I'll use the backup lights as a combination flasher/backup.

bonnevista:
Don't FE Holdens have a red combo brake light/blinker?

cassanth:
Has anyone actually taken the time to read schedule 2, regulation 124 of the regulations mentioned in this post? This post is wrong. That regulation is only about additional lights fitted to a vehicle outside of lights already listed in the schedule. Brake lights are already listed in the schedule therefore regulation 124 does not apply.

Division 9, regulation 108 describes the operation of a brake light, and nowhere does it say it can not flash. In fact the diagram offered as an example in the regs is of an American car (looks like a vette) and would be the optimal place to say they can’t flash, but it doesn’t. Having searched for confirmation that this post is correct the only place I can find any mention of flashing brake lights being illegal is in the post.

I wouldn’t be changing the wiring of any car until the original poster can provide some evidence that this is now illegal. Perhaps a link to the regulations, legislation etc that says that brake lights on a pre ADR vehicle can not flash.

sms777:
Good luck with your next rego renewal. I am not arguing with you but read my post again. Contact Technical Enquiries on the link I have posted previously and argue with the people implemted this amendment. Do not abuse me of this rule because i have been a RMS inspector for the last 20 years and i do follow rules and this is my best interest to pass it on to my customers and fellow club members. If you think you can do better you should contact your local MP. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version