Author Topic: Flashing brake lights are now illegal!!!  (Read 15188 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Re: Flashing brake lights are now illegal!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
You guys just don't get it, do you.
This is an amendment......Let me explain straight out of the dictionary.
Definition of amendment: "A minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc." 
You keep on quoting the original legislation which now has been amended as of March 2017.
I rest my case.....

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

cassanth

• P Plater
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
We do get it. Check out this link to the current regulations. Note the date at the start. It’s regulations 2017 and current from date April 16 2018, so cant get any more current than this. Then go to schedule 2, division 10 rule 94. At no point does it say brake lights can not flash. It even still states for indicators that they can be red. There is absolutely nothing in what is the most current regulations that state brake lights can’t flash. You can even track the amendment history and there is no amendment for the rule you are quoting as being accurate. With a history in the road safety arena for 17 years, I know that all amandaments to regulations, Acts, legislation etc must be publicly available, and are made so via the internet. Often the only things not made publicly available are internal RMS policy,  it as you have stated this is an amendment in the regs and therefore not an internal policy.

In any area where the public are required to comply with the legislation and regulations, such as licensing, road rules and registration, the information that they need to comply with must be made publicly available to them. Whether or not the public is notified of the change is a different story, as it sometimes the case with road rule changes. They might be advertised in the paper or something, but each licence holder is not contacted to tell them of the change. However the information is easily accessible for the general public to read. This is also the case with registration requirements. The fact that nobody else is able to find this rule that you are quoting, and it doesn’t even appear in the most up to date regs, would suggest that there has been a massive misunderstanding from some vehicle inspectors. I know of several blue and pink slip inspectors that have bend asked about this over the last week, and not one of them believes this to be a rule, despite regular inspections of classic cars.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/451/sch2
There will be 2 dates on your tombstone, and all your friends will read em. But the only thing that matters is that little dash between em.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 05:24:10 PM »
I understand and read your link. However it is still dated 2007 with the latest revision dating 2015. There maybe changes to other rules which are irrelevant to our discussion. Like i said we do get notifications internally which only available to us through AIS online. i am only trying to follow their rules to cover my ass in case of an audit. Obviously whatever smartass came up with the amendment never implemented and updated to the current legislations. Don't worry I will keep on arguing the matter with them until we get a clear picture as to what's happening.
In the meantime i have no choice but to inform my clients of the so called changes and try to comply with the notice.... 

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
I just called the RMS rego tech line for clarification.

For pre 73 cars -
1. Now require a VSCCS Compliance Certificate for registration - applicable to all Personal Imports regardless of year built or pre-ADR, or if modified or completely stock...doesn't matter.
2. Rear indicators may be red or amber, they cannot be combined with the brake lamp so that the brake light flashes when the indicator is applied (which is how they nearly all work)

So, time to split out the indicator function from the brake light circuit and stick a switchback white/amber LED globe in the reverse lamp housing.....both white reverse lamps and amber indicators - fixed.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

cassanth

• P Plater
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »
I hate to rehash old ground but for those saying flashing brake lights are illegal, you probably should mention it to Hyundai

https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/small-cars/i30/safety/emergency-stop-signal

Seems like flashing brake lights are now a thing on new cars as a warning to following drivers of hard braking. So I guess the governing body can’t have it both ways. Either they are illegal and Hyundai are selling defective vehicles, or someone has erroneously interpreted the regulations. I think I know which way I am leaning.
There will be 2 dates on your tombstone, and all your friends will read em. But the only thing that matters is that little dash between em.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333