Author Topic: Wilwood Brake Pad Help  (Read 14771 times)

WILD56

• P Plater
Wilwood Brake Pad Help
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Gday guys,

I have Wilwood rotors and calipers all around on the F100. They currently have racing compound pads, which came with the kits. The pads are the softest compound (as far as i can tell) that Wilwood provides in their kits (BP-10). They are still extremely hard for my needs and driving style.

The pads require a lot of heat to be efficient in what they do, also known as "stopping". My truck is heavy an takes a while to actually come to a stop, even at lower speeds. As a result I am a very careful driver, especially in traffic.

I contacted Bendix, they said "not a chance" on their end. They don't have anything for Wilwood applications.

I contacted Northern Brake and Clutch in Victoria under recommendation, as he apparently knows everything about brakes and is a nice guy. The owner is hands down the rudest prick in the world. So I guess he was a dead end.

Summit Racing and similar all have other manufacturers race compound pads for my application. But that's just it, they are all race compounds. I require the softest compound I can find.

In this wide world of ours I am sure Im not the only one that has come across this issue. The rotors and calipers that I have are widely used on aftermarket applications for street use.

At this stage I am unsure where to look. Image attached for reference. I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Stan

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Re: Wilwood Brake Pad Help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
G'day Stan,
I had the same problem years ago when I started fitting Wilwood brakes. All their kits are supplied with race compound pads because they were originally designed for race use only. The reason they were not compliant for engineering until recently because they had no dust seals in their calipers. The new generation calipers (the last two years) have dust seals installed so make sure you have the later ones if you want your car engineered.
Back to brake pads....I do have some left over in my shop with your description, give me a couple of days so I can find them and will get back to you.
Cheers, Chris.   

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

splitpin

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »
Failing that you could also try VPW in Melbourne.
WIL1508855K    Brake Pads Smart Pad BP-10 Medium-Friction Semi-Metallic High Performance Set    $82.64

WILD56

• P Plater
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:38:23 AM »
I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I already have the BP-10 pads installed. They came with the kits.

I need a softer street pad from somewhere in that pad shape. The BP-10 pads are a very hard compound.

If all else fails, ill just have to alter my driving to suit.

77CVT

• P Plater
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:47:42 AM »
I had a set of caliper that I never used and sold.  The guy I bought them off said there was a Volvo pad that had the same pad backing shape that you could use for street.  I wish I could remember the part no!

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
G'day Wild56, I had a long association with Volvo parts in the past - just spent @ 30mins trawling thru old Volvo brake info & diagrams & cannot find a backing plate match for Volvo pads up to mid '90s. Possibly theyre newer than this??? Hope it helps in some way...

Cheers

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Stan, there's a brake parts supplier in the Liverpool (Sydney) area that I've dealt with in the past, unfortunately I can't remember their name.  However, if you find a brake manufacturer like them, you should be able to take your disc pads to them and they will bond new material to the old backing plates in any type of material you need.

WILD56

• P Plater
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »
I didn't realise that a service like that existed. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks

72nova

• Speedster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Hi Wild 56 there is a brake supplier in Fairfield call Burt Bros Automotive PH 96811188 Address is 116 - 118 Fairfield Road Fairfield Good Luck

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »
hi Stan,
I have done an extensive search on google and various sites in the US and as it seems the pads in question are unique to Wilwood specific caliper. They even specify that they are high performance street or track or race use only. They are not even allowed in California. The only company I could find that sells alternative are Hawk Performance. There is a Raybestos interchange number but it is the same compound because "race only". My advice is to try and contact Burt Bros in Fairfield and see if they can remould your pads to the more user friendly compound or get rid of your calipers altogether and use Falcon or Commodore calipers.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333