Author Topic: Historic Rego. Renewal Experience.  (Read 2813 times)

97Vette

• Speedster
Historic Rego. Renewal Experience.
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
A couple of interesting points were explained to me today when I paid my Historic Rego renewal for my 80 Corvette at the RMS office.

For the last two years when renewing the historic Rego on the corvette, I have had the car inspected and paid for a pink slip.

I have also filled out a Historic Vehicle Declaration form which Owen has also signed item 4 Vehicle Eligibility and stamped on behalf of the club.

The pink slip process has been somewhat of a pain since on Historic Rego as the corvette, I am told, is not identified within the RMS's computer system as it only has a chassis number and not a VIN. (So they say) but magically the corvette was always processed through their computer system prior to being on historic Rego.

They also advised me that I do not need to have the car inspected and pay for a pink slip!

If the club does not sign item 3 on the Historic Vehicle Declaration form (the vehicle is in a safe operating condition) then I, as the registered owner, can sign a Vehicle Suitable for Safe Use Declaration (as long as the club agrees) and this takes the place of a pink slip.

I don't know if this is new, but I wasn't aware of it.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Glen

Judgefatboy

• Committee
  • Speedster
  • Club Plate Registrar
Re: Historic Rego. Renewal Experience.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
In my opinion it is safer to get a pink slip that proves that
car has been inspected and passed by a qualified mechanic
and is road worthy and in the unfortunate  case of a accident
the insurance company and rms can’t not say that car might of had
faulty brakes or what other excuse that come up with , for a small fee
I think it is a wise choice to get a pink slip
 That’s just my thought
Joe

splitpin

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
Glen, your experience is exactly what I have been telling other members about for a while now.  My mate always fills out a safe vehicle declaration for his mustang (as recommended by the RMS guy) and doesn't get pink slips.
But I also agree with Joe - I get pinks for piece of mind and a bit more of a thorough checkup.
Cheers.

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi all,

Re the above, I concur with Kevin & especially Joe. My former vocation was investigating motor vehicle claims for insurers & other organisations for over a decade. An insurer will, in most cases, seek to legally validate the pre-collision condition of a car before considering accepting a claim. And similar for a theft claim. If a vehicle's pre-existing mechanical condition cannot be justified by an independent professional entity (predominantly a pink slip) the owner often jeapoardises their coverage. If an insurer can prove that an unqualified person has verified the safety & roadworthiness of a car involved in an incident your insurance coverage is also in question.

And keep in mind, RMS are the licencing entity, and the information provided by counter staff from registry to registry is not always consistent. They are not legally liable if you are inadvertently told misinformation - the registered owner &/or driver are.

So Glenn, for your own safety and legal peace of mind, keep obtaining a pink slip!! Keep in mind also that professionals such as Chris from SMS & others will often identify problems on a pink slip inspection that most owners may not find.

Ultimately, it's your LIFE on the line here..... and your financial and legal wellbeing.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
Whilst not required by RMS, a lot of clubs make a rule of obtaining a pink slip to take part in the historic rego process.  Also, NSW is the only state that has the annual inspection thing.  Every other state and territory you just pay the money every year...

97Vette

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
I take on board and thank everyone for their comments.
I totally agree with the pink slip concept and I don't have a problem paying for the service.
I did note however that the pink slip issued to me last week was issued without any inspection of the car whatsover?
I gave the car for inspection and it was not looked at nor driven? Not even a brake test?
I didn't request any exceptional treatment when I gave them the car.
Perhaps I should go elsewhere and make sure they inspect the car. I understand it is another set of eyes and a professional inspection on the cars roadworthyness.

Skipman

• Speedster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
I always get a pink slip, piece of mind, my mechanic is a mate I have known for around 40 years and I don’t expect any special treatment, he puts the car on the hoist with a full inspection steering, suspension, lights body and most important a brake test. It is his license and my families safety. Although it is apparently not required by the rms it is required by me. That is just my opinion. It is a pity that the controlling body cannot get its sh#t organised. I like black and white not grey

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
In light of NSW being the only state that does annual inspections (and I'm talking about full rego, not club plates), you'd think we might catch a break on insurance premiums, considering everywhere else just pays their rego renewal like a bill and gets no safety check done...

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333