Author Topic: Troubleshooting  (Read 2701 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Troubleshooting
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
Ok guys (attention Chris!) -

I'm going to set the scene for a troubleshooting task.

Engine is running, car is moving slowly down a driveway and when it came to the end of the driveway, with the smallest of drop between the end of the driveway and the road, a sudden metallic sounding "thud", short and sharp (refer to video link below)
Later that day, I also heard the same sound when reversing out of a parking spot and turning the steering.

Watch the attached video and listen carefully. Interesting to note how quiet my exhaust is and how loud the noise is...

Please let me know what you think it might be??

73Transam

• Speedster
    • pontiac68@optusnet.com
Re: Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »
When you changed your exhaust did you put new headers on the car, the noise sounds like something is catching on the steering shaft

birdman

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
Flogged swaybar bush???

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
only recent change to exhaust was a muffler. Headers are original, stock.
I have heard the noise one in a straight line, but it is generally when turning.

WILD56

• P Plater
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 07:35:37 PM »
I would start by getting a mate or two, locking the wheels as far left or right as you need (simulating when you are turning a corner) and have the mates jounce the suspension as if you were taking that corner. In my opinion its the easiest way to identify knocks in and around steering and suspension without being distracted by engine and road noise.

First thing i would check would be steering linkage (if applicable), exhaust mounts (the rubber bits), all bushes, and engine mounts for cracks and play. I would also check wheel hubs and top and bottom arms etc.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333