Author Topic: Windscreen scratch  (Read 4975 times)

silverz

• Speedster
Windscreen scratch
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
Does anyone know of a windscreen repair shop that can polish out a 15cm scratch? It’s very shallow, can just feel with a fingernail but would still take forever with a drill and compound. I have tried O’Briens, Griffin Auto glass, Novus and Instant windscreens. Instant did a great job on my ’82 Z28 some years back but none do this now due to ‘safety and optical criteria’.
Cheers, Bob.

72nova

• Speedster
Re: Windscreen scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:36:58 PM »
Hi Bob try Ralph Moore Glass 6 John Street Mascot PH 96671933

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
Cheers Pete, will do ta mate.

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
Hi Bob,

Another suggestion is Clear Vision Auto Glass, a mobile guy who has done a windscreen replacement for a client of mine in Engadine (they were REALLY pleased with him). His card quotes repairs but not sure what areas he covers or if scratches are his thing - BUT he was quick, reliable, knew his stuff & reasonably priced. Guy is Nigel Craig & his number is 0432 645 116. It is another lead if nothing else...

Cheers Garth

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »
Thanks Garth, will check with him too as running out of options. Fluke accident on M5, someones wing mirror detached, bounced and i caught it at 110k's. Lucky it didn't come straight through the windscreen into Susan's face. Most of the repairers seem to avoid this kind of repair now. Cheers, Bob.

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »
.... Just a thought Bob, and Im sure you would have considered this already, but does your insurance policy have windscreen coverage? Many policies do, and often you are entitled to an annual windscreen replacement and at no cost.

Cheers

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
Thanks Garth, that would be another option. The car is up for sale anyway so no big deal but quotes for replacement are around $700 up. Ralph Moore Glass phone number has been cut off. Nigel at Clear Vision was very helpful but stated if you can feel it with a fingernail then no one will attempt it. He did offer me some cerium oxide glass abrasive if I wanted to use it on the surrounding scuffs but said it wont take the scratch out. I buffed it today with a mix of toothpaste and baking soda and it helped a bit so I plan to minimise it, leaving just the scratch and sell it like that. Thanks for the contacts and suggestions.
 :cry:

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
I got one more for you Bob. Company called Fractured Repairs. One man band, been doing it for 50 years. Name is Mark Brooks number is 0430 070 085. He is located at Blaxland but he may come to you.
Btw...Ralph Moore has passed away many years ago now and the business has gone.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
Thanks Chris, I'll give him a call. Shannon's will replace the screen FOC as Garth's suggestion so at least I have that option. Such a shame for so light a scratch. will keep you posted.

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
I spoke to Mark, Chris and he's going to have a look at it next week. He also stated if you can feel it with a fingernail then it wont come out without a lot of work and resulting optical distortion. He feels he may be able to minimise it and remove the scuffing though. Shannon's confirmed free replacement of windscreen without paying an excess or loss of premium discount.
Thanks all and have a great weekend.
 :burnout:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333