Author Topic: RHD conversions. Old style...  (Read 4464 times)

silverz

• Speedster
Re: RHD conversions. Old style...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with that; as long as you don't drive it!
 :burnout:

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
Of course we cannot have people in Australia driving correctly engineered left hand drive cars.Lets make them butcher them to make do ....and it continues to this day .

Vicki n Bill

• P Plater
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:37:59 AM »
The craziest one I have seen was a '72 Transam. They cut the steering column in half, swapped the wheel and dash to the right. Put cogs on the ends and a chain behind the dash. The brakes were done similarly with linkages.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
The craziest one I have seen was a '72 Transam. They cut the steering column in half, swapped the wheel and dash to the right. Put cogs on the ends and a chain behind the dash. The brakes were done similarly with linkages.

There's actually a lot of cars done like that.  It's pretty common...

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
There's actually a lot of cars done like that.  It's pretty common...
And done correctly a chain conversion is a great conversion as it runs all GM equipment,its not cobbled together with bits off of a cresida or ford or a WB Holden and you can buy things like extractors that actually fit as they were designed ..Still cannot beat a left hand drive car left as left hand drive though

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
And done correctly a chain conversion is a great conversion as it runs all GM equipment,its not cobbled together with bits off of a cresida or ford or a WB Holden and you can buy things like extractors that actually fit as they were designed ..Still cannot beat a left hand drive car left as left hand drive though

Before I bought my barge, I looked at another Grand Ville in South Australia that was RHD.  It had been converted using a properly engineered enclosed chain drive.  It drove very well.  On the flip side, back in the early '80s, I saw a factory Hemi/4 speed Dodge Charger that was converted with an open bicycle chain and bicycle sprockets under the dash.  Along with the bodgy steering, it had the obligatory bodgy wiring that goes with a rhd conversion.  Any of the loose wiring could have been mangled by the chain and sprockets...

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333