Author Topic: Windscreen Mounted devices legality.  (Read 3504 times)

97Vette

• Speedster
Windscreen Mounted devices legality.
« on: February 10, 2022, 02:01:12 PM »
I’ve been told that any device ie GPS, phone, dash cam etc fixed to your cars windscreen using suction cups is illegal in NSW?
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Glen

splitpin

• Speedster
Re: Windscreen Mounted devices legality.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »
For anyone that really wants to know this sort of information....

Refer to Transport NSW Fact Sheet
"Windscreen mounted phones and GPS Fact Sheet"

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/windscreen-mounted-phones-gps.pdf

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 06:33:05 PM »
I’ve been told that any device ie GPS, phone, dash cam etc fixed to your cars windscreen using suction cups is illegal in NSW?
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Glen

Glen, I think you need to reveal your source...

97Vette

• Speedster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
Thanks for that advice Kevin!
I did read that fact sheet together with heaps of other info on the subject before posting.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better.
I sat in a meeting today with a family member whilst they purchased a new car at a dealership.
Whilst talking about accessories, he explained that accessory devices fixed to a windscreen with suction cups ie GPS, dash cam etc is illegal and fines apply together with insurance issues.
I understand he was pushing his own dash cam but I wanted to research the subject myself as I use a GPS speedometer in my corvette.

I did find information that indicates that suction cup fitted devices on windscreens are illegal in 70% of US states?
I can’t find any info relative to NSW apart from ‘Devices must be firmly attached’?

Just putting it out there if anyone has clear information.
Thanks
Glen :bow:

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 10:47:29 PM »
It is an offence to have a device obstructing vision (including hanging air fresheners etc) - refer to said mountings as provided by Kevin).If such a device or item is found to be contributory to a crash, or has been mounted in a non-legal manner (obstructs vision), it can indeed void your insurance.
And legal liability lies with the driver, not the owner.
My knowledge comes from 10 years of investigating insurance claims & preparing briefs of evidence for court....
Please exercise caution

97Vette

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 07:04:19 AM »
Thanks Garth.
Yes, I do understand the requirements not to have devices that obstruct clear vision.
The advice I was given and the issue I’m trying to have clarified is that regardless of where any device is fitted on a windscreen, assuming everyone fits them in the recommended position as per the official fact sheet, is that if the device is secured to the windscreen with a suction cap it is deemed illegal and a finable offense?
I’m aware that many devices have been marketed over the years with suction cup fittings.
Is this a new law? The source of this did say very few people are aware of it?
I was just wondering if anyone in the club had knowledge of this?
Maybe I should direct the issue to RMS for clarification?
Thank you
Glen

70SS

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »
A couple of our friends / associates have actually been fined for having phones and GPS devices mounted on windscreens. Two examples of friends being fined pertained to a phone in a commercially-available suction-mounted phone holder in the lower right corner of the screen (a Prado) & an air freshener hanging from the mirror... placed there by the mechanic.
According to a S/Cst I work with, the mounting mechanism is irrelevant to the offence - the offence is obstruct vision.
Hope this helps Glenn. Cheers

97Vette

• Speedster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 09:07:29 PM »
Thanks Garth.
That’s pretty much what I’ve been looking for.
Appreciate your advice.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333