Author Topic: What started of as a simple job  (Read 10634 times)

GTA390

What started of as a simple job
« on: November 05, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
What started off as a quick radiator removal just seems to keep getting bigger.
Took carby off for a overhaul.
I have taken the rocker covers off to give them a good clean and found roller rockers fitted (bonus), so figured whilst radiator out pulled heater hoses off the water pump and it was fairly corroded so decided to replace water pump.
Now thinking about whilst it's that far apart may aswell slip a new cam in.
Haven't done a cam in situe before, but should be able to get it back together then take it to dyno for a proper adjustment and tune up.
Is there anything in particular i should look out for, or has anyone done this and regreted it.
David.

77CVT

• P Plater
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »
;x  You got my problem!  A simple task turns into a 2 month "resto".  Don't forget to paint everything before you put it back!!  ;x

Lube the heck out of the cam and be very careful sliding it back in - wouldn't want to knock a cam bearing out!  Don't forget to mark your dizzy and manifold to aid when putting it back in.  Use a bit of Blue Maxx around the water jackets in the manifold and for the front and rear seals.

Also a good idea to dial the cam in as cams can still be out even from the factory.

77CVT

• P Plater
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
David

How's the "resto" going?

GTA390

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
I have told myself just d what i was going to do.
It is hard to stop pulling things apart, them i remember i need money tot put it back together:6

David.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333