Author Topic: Red Hot 350 - On the Road Again  (Read 8197 times)

sell4u

Red Hot 350 - On the Road Again
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »
Thanx again all for the run to Kiama today. Sorry didnt get to go to the :cool:

Today was 1st decent lengthy drive, temp wise perfect all the way until we hit traffic @ Kiama and the 57's temp gauges (2) both went North - 240 degrees +

To head home, the radiator had lost 2.5l of water, so topped up, did nothing else and headed off. Guess what - alls perfect

When i got home i thought i would leave the 57 running in the driveway and after 15 minutes nothing. The 2nd temp gauge would get to 200 deg, thermos would kick in, temp drop to 180 then repeat???????

Specs - 350 chev, pwr alloy radiator, thermos x2 but no overflow bottle / catch can and i have been driving her daily past few weeks.....

Any thoughts - maybe an air lock, 1 of the hoses collapsed, thermostat got stuck, radiator cap faulty??? ;7

cpu

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
Originally posted by sell4u
..........no overflow bottle / catch can.

I would suggest in there lays your problem.  She would eventually over time loose enough water to run hot.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
bottom radiator hose collapsed (sucked in ) whilst driving ?
with t stats for insurance i always drill 2 ,3 mm holes in them as a safety measure as i have been caught before

cpu

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:38:34 PM »
sell4u, I was just downloading the video of the day, which I will post tomorrow, in it there is a water trail coming from you car as we pulled into Kiama carpark.  You'll see what I man when I post the video.  Might help you out.

Cheers
CPU

sell4u

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »
Thanx CPU

She was boiling when i pulled in.

I checked the radiator this morning and after the trip back and sitting in the drive way afterwards for 15 min she only need 500ml to top up.

I reckon the old girl probably dumped a good 2L after pulling up in the car park in Kiama? ;J

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
Could be a combo of things? Do check your hoses, because if they do feel soft then the spring inside has collapsed! Also check you have the right cap on the radiator, it needs the pressure to keep the fluid in! check for tiny leaks from the pipes and radiator and fittings. The other thing is check that the water is actually flowing and not a blockage in the radiator! I'm gunna have to check that on mine too! With newish engines eventually a sludge (I forget the technical term) can form from metal shavings and fillings (minute stuff!) in the radiator and block some of the pipes.
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

sell4u

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
Update - 1st thanx all for the help

Tried new thermostat, radiator cap, catch can / overflow bottle and actually runs hotter - now boils at idle????

Decided need someone who knows what they are doing a dropped her off at SR Performance today.

Already identified a few issues (inc bolt missing from water pump), so will let you know how its goes. Cheers ;8

cpu

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
Getting hotter and hotter, not good.  This could get expensive.  Hope it's an easy fix an not head gaskets etc.

cpu

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Any updates sell4u?

sell4u

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
To date, Steve @ SR Performance has been fantastic.

Overheating all sorted, sh#tty wiring on the thermo and relocated temp sender from thermostat housing to the radiator.

Turned up today and they were powering the old girl up for a dyno run to get a base line - 225hp @ the wheels with carb drowning the engine in fuel.

I ratted a new billet MSD dizzy, new Crane Coil & new Crane Ignition system I had set asside for my other project and dropped it to Steve today to throw on the old girl and they are going to custom make a set of new MSD ignition leads and fit it all up.

They should have that done by Tuesday, fit a new K & N air filter, fiddle with Holley carb (lean her out) and throw the 57 back on the dyno.

Then, how good is this - they are going to do a wheel alignment then take her over and get me a weigh ticket and blue slip.

Should be all good to go :D;8

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333