Author Topic: sell4u  (Read 16743 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
sell4u
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »
Hello fellow members, it is the mechanic again.
I thought i share my experience with some expensive dud dizzy's.
Culprit: MSD Pro Billet
I have paid over $600 for one of these about 3 years ago to install in my 454 SS El Camino. This is the one that you have to run with an amplifier like the 6A or 7A. Looks impressive, comes with all the springs and bushes to set your own advance curve but it is already set up for most application so just drop in, set your initial timing and off you go. All was good until about 12 months later having done the usual cruise nights and weekend driving that only added up to about 1000 km's, when problems started. It was getting harder to start, difficult to idle, noticable loss of power. First i blamed the carby (850 DP) so i rebuilt it.
No fix so i replaced carby with brand new fully calibrated Demon. Still no fix. Compression test, ( new engine, done about 1500 km's), check cam timing, check rockers, leak down test. Still no fix.
I am starting to loose lots of hair( wife worried too). Many long nights in my workshop baffled but determined to find cause i have removed dizzy cap to have a look. I could not believe what i saw.... RUST .... every metal component inside looked like a porcupine on heat. Corrosion was that heavily built up that i could not undo the rotor button.
Out comes the whole lot, next day back to Rocket Ind. for warranty. Warranty refused due to exessive moisture in engine bay. Must have been degreesing every day. What the.....? I have never driven in rain, never washed engine bay, it is that clean that you could eat your dinner off the manifold.
No excuse, $200 later dizzy back in El Truck. Bewdy.....6 months later same problem starts again. This time i am smart. Off comes the dizzy cap.....you are f****ng kidding or what?
This time that much rust that the main shaft locked itself inside it's sleeve that i had 36 degrees on start up and that's where it stayed right through the entire rev range. What do you do?
Rocket Ind.'s excuse? It will make you laugh!.....
The container the shipment came in must have leaked sea water in transit that made everything to corrode inside..... Still no warranty though.
My fix? .... Cleaned it up myself, put it on ebay, got enough money for it to buy a Pertronix Flamethrower billet dizzy that hooked up to my 6AL and it runs better than ever.

So..... if any of you have the same symptons with your MSD open it up and have a look under the cap and if you see any evidence of corrosion you will know where your problem is.
If you get stuck give me a call on 02 9771 4144 and i will give you advice or i can fix it for you.
Cheers, Chris.    

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

cpu

sell4u
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
69 Dirty Rat may have a comment or two on this, sounds familiar :lol:

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
sell4u
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
Hi SMS777.
   Thank you for writing that article & if you have any other tips please feel free to post them, I think we should give you your own section on the forum if you want it for tips & advice.
   :seeya: Garry :spaghetti: :drink:
Past And Present Cars

cpu

sell4u
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »
Quote from: MuscleVette link=topic=2569.msg14084#msg14084
Hi SMS777.
   .......... I think we should give you your own section on the forum if you want it for tips & advice.
   :seeya: Garry :spaghetti: :drink:

Done :smile:

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
sell4u
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
sms777 I know all about that to! I thought it was just a one off. What is causing the rust though? Its not like water is getting in there? Is it just chinese grade metal used? That shipping excuse is bogas, mine was airfrieghted and I still got rust (unless the plane ditched in the ocean along the way?)
I also bought a MSD billet dizzy for my FI but with in weeks the ignition module blew! I harassed MSD on their forum and eventually they sent me a replacement. I researched about the module problem and found many other people with similar problems and that MSD has known about the problem since 2002 and couldn't be bothered fixing the problem but still sell the dizzy to poor bastards like me! (sms777 you should get on the MSD Forum and tell them of your grievance because everybody sees it on there own site!!!!)
Luckily I dont have it on the vette anymore! I was thinkin I was gunna put in in my new BB vehicle coming but now I suppose I shouldnt.
I find that alot of US stuff is now being made in China and the quality is absolute rubbish! Good example is Ecklers, they have so much chinese made rubbish there now its not worth buying anything even with 15-25% discount!

I reakon I could write a 500page book on what faulty new parts and faulty people have worked on my vette!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Bumblebee

sell4u
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
Oh dear, I'll check mine tonight.  If it's not too bad, would WD40 help delay the problem?:mad:

usa383

sell4u
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »

:hesaid:

GTA390

sell4u
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=2569.msg14091#msg14091
Oh dear, I'll check mine tonight.  If it's not too bad, would WD40 help delay the problem?:mad:

I heard once before that products like WD40 actually cause corrosion after a while.
Something to do with what s in it, penetrates when used but can cause corrosion later.
Might be complete BS but there could be some truth in it.
David.

sell4u

sell4u
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
sms777 - A BIG THANKYOU for your initial post 2 months ago

I bought my MSD Pro Billet Dizzy about 2002 / 2003 for use in my big block project (69DirtyRat would be proud) and has been sitting in the box ever since.

Decided to run Motec on the Big Block instead so back in May this year installed the MSD along with all the other goodies I had set aside on the 57.

Today went to start the Chev but wouldnt turn over??? thought flat battery so gave her some extra neddies and fired straight up, must have left the door ajar? Loaded up the family and went for a drive to Carss Park to take the kids to the bike track. 2 hours later the 57 wouldnt fire. :cry:

As some of you know this is my daily driver and has always started. Called my old man to come over and help but after 5 or 6 attempts  to try to jump start without success had to call Mr NRMA

Mr NRMA checked the battery, only 10 volts so pulls out his battery booster and jumper cables, car turned over a few times then nothing. Very strange. Checked starter motor and all is fine, so pulls out a 2nd set of jumper leads and hooks it up to his truck. Have another go, Mr NRMA has now got enough power running to the old girl to fire up a nuclear plant turns over but nothing??

So he checks spark and there is some at the plugs but only small (says thats bad), checks the coil and its throwing lightning bolts!! I then gel to your post sms777 and said to Mr NRMA I had read an internet forum a few months ago so lets check the MSD Dizzy for moisture and guess what - BINGO. :gotya:

Mr NRMA cleaned her out, put it all back together, turned the key (with the 2 jumper cables still hooked up) and she fired straight up. :fantastic:

I bought this MSD Pro Billet Dizzy when they 1st came out and it had never been used until the last 6 months. So I want to say thanks for your post and to everyone else, if you have problems with your pride and joy don't hesitate to post as it may help someone else let the penny drop. (PS: must 2nd 69DirtyRat that the storey about the shipping container was to blame - crap).

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
sell4u
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
Y'know, you'll never match the 'heart stopping' voltage of a points distributer and oil filled coil, powered through a ballast resistor.:huh:

That's a whole 9 volts :omg:going to the positive side of the coil!!

High tech - yes, but what price do you put on a reliable ignition system?? :exact:

And of course, there's always the blistering and smell of burning flesh as you try to adjust said points on a hot engine.:thanks:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333