Author Topic: info for import of cars & ADRs  (Read 13483 times)

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
info for import of cars & ADRs
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
Just for peoples interest!
 I rang the RTA & For those contemplating bringing cars into the country...... if you have a car that was manufactured before August 72 you DONT have to get an engineers report BUT after that date you will have to get an engineers report ($$$) to get full rego! This is because the ADR system was introduced then!:drink:
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:20:18 PM »
Of course, if you ring tomorrow, you'll get a different answer.

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:45:46 PM »
Two words
Historic Registration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GT SALLY

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
What is the point of historic rego? We are all here for a good time not a long time. These precious pieces of metal WILL still be around long after we are lying in the fields. I drive mine as often as I can, I paid good money & I am going to enjoy the thrill of showing it to the world, not locked up & driven to club sanctioned meets only. I have an old school friend who bought an MGB in 1971, new, he was a second year uni student for BMC or was it Leyland? he still has that car, immaculate, does 2km /yr to get it rego'd. What is the point? On the other hand, if you can afford to have a collection, that is a different story. Whew! Got it out finally! I know the members of this club do enjoy their rides & USE them EVERY weekend, club rego IMO is not worth the restrictiveness.

anychevy

• P Plater
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
Quote from: 69DirtyRat link=topic=2712.msg15180#msg15180
if you have a car that was manufactured before August 72 you DONT have to get an engineers report BUT after that date you will have to get an engineers report ($$$) to get full rego!

As if a blue slip isn't painfull enough !
What's he going to report on ?
You don't need an engineer to tell you your indicators and seatbelts don't comply do you ?

It'll end up like SA where the car has to be 100% stock (not that they know what that is) to be registered !
It'll be historic rego for me (till they F-ck that up too)

I'm pretty sure you only need an engineers report if it's been converted ? God I hope you're wrong !
Dave

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Never give the twats your name when you deal with them.

I keep hearing almost every week that things are changing  next year,the poor old rodders will be selling parts left right and centre on ebay if it happens.:boxing::mad:
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

anychevy

• P Plater
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
Quote from: GT SALLY link=topic=2712.msg15187#msg15187
What is the point of historic rego?  IMO is not worth the restrictiveness.

It's only $80 a year inc. third party.
Comprehensive insurance is also cheaper if on historic.
It's not really that restrictive.
Quote: "can be used on any club event or for maintenance"
That's very open to Interpretation.
I'd be lucky to drive my car twice a month, so paying a grand a year for full rego just isn't worth it to me.
I wish I could drive it to work, but I'd be broke in 3 months.
Cheers
Dave

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
SS454, you need an engineers report for any import built after aug 72 to get full rego!!!! You need a Blue slip for pre Aug 72, BUT you still only need a pink slip for club rego!
I still might put it on club rego if for some reason my Burb doesnt pass the blue then I'll go pink! But I want full rego because its going to be a cruiser (and monsta truck to drive over Ponies) and a tow vehicle for when I ever get my Vette going, I will do some track stuff. I suppose I could always just tow the vette everywhere? If I ever get another (3rd) car I will put it on club rego.
www.ratpackmuscle.com

anychevy

• P Plater
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
Quote from: 69DirtyRat link=topic=2712.msg15191#msg15191
you need an engineers report for any import built after aug 72 to get full rego!!!!

I'm questioning what has to be engineered, if it's not converted and nothing been modified ?
Ask them what the engineer has to pass ?????
I can see the point with bicycle chain RHD conversions done in the backyard (some are friggin dangerous)
but for a LHD car that left the factory that way ? What's he going to inspect ?
Do you see my point ?
Dave

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »
Yes its all ridiculous,
 another stupid example of govt department rulings gone mad.... before shipping I had to empty my perfectly good aircon gas (it was coverted to the newer gas) and throw out the dryer can WHY???? Now I have to go and put exactly the same gas back in??? Can anybody tell me why, it wasnt the old type of ozone depleting gas.

I still cant work out why we have to ruin perfectly good new LHD cars BUT its ok to leave older cars LHD???? as much as it is great for us it doesnt make sense either? they say its because it saves our local car industry, but most of the profits go overseas to the non-australian parent companies???
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333