Author Topic: The BIG trip.  (Read 5131 times)

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
The BIG trip.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
You can make a date in your Rocket 88, you can go far in your Mopar, you could even drive all day in your Chevrolet.

BUT

If you want to get all the way there - and back, you'll have to drive a PONTIAC.

Well, I did the big trip to South Aus, via the Great Ocean Road, drove around there for a week and got back - all in one piece.
The drive across the ocean road was great and I would recommend it to anyone.  Do it at least once, the views are spectacular.  On the day of that drive, the weather was great, perfect with the roof down - up until about lunch time, after which, my fair skinned, blonde travelling companion was starting to feel the sun.

You'll notice I haven't used the term 'didn't miss a beat',  'cause the car missed 3 beats.

Beat no. 1 was at Albury.  I fuelled up, turned the key and - nothing.  A quick bit of encouragement with my iron head impact spanner (2lb lump hammer), and we were on our way.

Beat no. 2 was on the outskirts of Melbourne. We were in heavy peak hour traffic and the engine just stopped.  A wire that goes from the coil to a valve that lets the LPG into the converter just came out of it's connector - after being installed there 7 years ago and not budging - what the??

Beat no. 3 was on my way home in Hay.  I had a sleep for a couple of hours (in the car - full size cars are great!!) and the headlights wouldn't switch on.  I just gave the relay a bit of a wiggle and away they went.

The total milage travelled while I was away for 9 days was
2,582 miles or 4,131 kilometres.

It was a great trip and I'd do it again.  Maybe not right now, but I'd do it again......................in a Pontiac - what else.    

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
The BIG trip.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
some impressive milage there!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
The BIG trip.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
Well done Chris!
I think that would be some sort of a world record for a Pontiac.
I would not push my luck venturing too far out of Sydney again before putting a Chev in it tough.....:smile:

A Mopar engine perhaps?......They do not brittle like Pontiacs do

:zip:

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
The BIG trip.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
Yeah, I can really see a slant 6 in my car and as it's LHD, the engine even slants the right way!

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333