Author Topic: Vans......  (Read 1641 times)

ozpont

• Rally Licence
    • www.usgmsp.com
Vans......
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »
Just openly talking car  related stuff here...something that might stay in the mind of anybody working in the same need environment.

Over the years.. the need for a town and work ute or van for carrying  parts loads had sorta grown..... probably like quite a few people here........ in our case its gone from a Holden ute to a ex gov Nissen twin cab while the kids were young... .. a used Rodeo twin cab  wo/power steering.. (what a PoS...!)  , then Ford Panel van.. then for 10 seconds a bloody Ford Econovan (biggest piece of sh*t ever made 2nd only to Kia vans.. they are a BIGGER POS.. :evil: .).. then in 1997  our 1st & only a new brand new Van a Toyota Hi Ace SBV  for 7 years or so & on gas, then a bit bigger LWB barn door Toyota LWB for 5 years.... now a Silver 2 year old Ford Mid roof long wheel base Turbo Diesel Transit Van.   Picked it up last week on Parramatta rd, ex north Coast dry cleaner, very very  clean and neat with about 70,000 km.

We have been needing a larger commercial sized cargo van for a few years.... for retrieving  ever increasing volumes of air cargo each week & big air stuff like full firewall to rear bumper assembled sub body panels , not just hoods etc.... the days of a LWB HiAce and large box trailer in traffic then into the night in all seasons.. has had it moments & financial practicalities & but at times detrimental to cargo security & weather changes.....  but had to handle it.

Talking around town.. and this is where its helpful to get involved with so many professional people at times.... to some decent guys in Crown Fork Lifts who had the larger Vans over the last 4-6 years... like the Fiats, Renault.. AND the Ford..... all seemed to prefer the Renault or the Ford.. and not much news on the Iveco was out there..  the Fiat & Renault had problems that seemed to repeatedly let some down... like computerised gear changing that locked up.. etc. ... but both had attributes..  The Australia Post guys report the Mercedes Sprinter the PO has contracted to .. are troubled.. and not recommended.. mind you its REALLY hard to gauge every model..

One more consideration is end resale value.. The Toyota SBV LWB on LPG just sold after 5 years use for 50% of what we paid for it second hand.... or $8000 depreciation over 60 months or $130 odd a month.. and we clocked up around 90,000 kms with it..    We had no problem selling it... .. somehow I don't think the public looks on older Fiat or Iveco or Renault commerical vehicles with any great esteem...hence going back to the Ford Transit... hope that was the right choice.

Steve McPhee is a Pontiac Car club committee member who works at one of the larger western Sydney Ford Dealers.. and was able to help with confirming the vehicles condition and warranty claims that had been done or programmed .. all looked good and the service history was in line - which was a great help after hearing not alot of good things over the years about Ford Transit Vans.. and we could not afford to buy a lemon even if it was still under the remaining factory warranty.

The Ford had the greatest call on resale value.. and A LOT different to the previous 2006 and earlier models.  I seem to find less BAD things said about the current Ford Transits .. It does hold a International Van of the Year  tag.. .. not sure who the judges are..?  
      This thing was pretty comfortable too.. for a person with a bad lower back.. its pretty good.... haa drivers armrest.. all functions are easy to each... three seats , CD, Power Steer, AC, PW, Cntl locking and bluetooth.. LOTS of cabin storage, drink holders and things like pen and probably a lap top platform...pretty ok for a van.

But .. this thing fly's.. .. tonight we had a 817 kg part load in and I went out to Mascot to pick it up ..   Its a good 90km each way run -  with a few hills Big and 1/2 freeway, city and country traffic.   This is a big van by all accounts.. we had two pallets and 5 cartoned hoods & a coffin shaped nose skin box...  in the loading.    Its took the loading without any down turn in power or drive ability.

Overall .. its just a van.. Wish GM-Holden would bring in the Chevy Express van.. I''d buy one in an instant.... they are nicer.. V6, comfortable etc..  but overall with this Ford -  gotta give credit where credits due. :way:

heven67

• Rally Licence
Vans......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
I must admit the Transit is the bees knees, my brother inlaw works for crown and says the renno's are junk and service costs are sky high, but for resale the Glasses guide is suggesting the Hiace to be the ducks guts in vans, my only bitch is for a big bloke its a little sqeezie, but it will outlast just about everthing, last week we took my mates Hyunde I load  with a 2.2Tonne boat from sydney to South west rocks and it towed better than my Landcruiser and it only used 70 liters of fuel to get to Kempsy.
I think the transit is a great choice, naturally.......its a FORD!
[align=center]
BLING IS KING. Real muscle cars have 3 pedals  "Praise The Lowered"[/align]

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333