Author Topic: It is all quiet in the west... north...south!  (Read 10909 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
It is all quiet in the west... north...south!
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »
Hello fellow members!
It has been a while since i have reported a stuff up, so i thought i better check in before you all forget about your faithful forum mechanic.
Well... i must have fixed all the Mustangs because i have not seen one in my workshop for almost a full day:zip:   . Seriously the last one i have fixed has not had an oil change for nearly twelve years but the owner insists he has only done 1000 km's since the last one. Fair enough... you can store your precious little thing for a while, but when comes cruising time it is not just a matter of charging the battery and turn the key and lets go racing. No Sireeee.. Oils ain't oils. They do have an expiry date like your milk. It only takes one start up and your oil is second hand and it will be expired within 6 months.
That's right....6 MONTHS. Piston rings will not seal 100% and will bypass combustion gasses in to the sump and will contaminate your oil that will break down it's lubricating qualities by at least 25% with just one start up if you do not warm up your engine to normal operating temperature.
This is the key to long engine life in your precious little thing.
If you store it.... start it up at least once a week, if possible take it around the corner for a quickie, or at least warm it up with quick stabs on the throttle from idle to at least 5000 rpm, select drive and reverse while idling ( if auto ) on and off until warm. If manual increase rpm to 6000 and quickly side step clutch while on throttle.(Make sure garage door is open). Just kidding.
This will ensure everything will be well lubricated for you next big splurge of showing off your pride and joy.
Bottom line is.... CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 10,000 KM'S OR EVERY 12 MONTHS IF STORED REGARDLESS.
It will save you an expensive engine rebuild.

Happy cruising.
Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
Mustangs, are they ever really fixed??:pat:

RIVIERA

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:52 PM »
SMS What should be done to a car before it is put into long term storage.

MuscleVette

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
Take it for a long drive to remember what you will miss by not driving it. :rol::rol::rol::rol::rol::rol::rol::rol::rol:

:seeya: Garry :coffee:
Past And Present Cars

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »
Quote from: RIVIERA link=topic=3126.msg18444#msg18444
SMS What should be done to a car before it is put into long term storage.

Hi John!
That depends on the lenght of storage. If you are talking a few months i would not worry about anything really as long as it is lock up storage out of the elements, just cover it up with a breathable car cover, remove your battery and make sure all your oils and water topped up and it will be fine to start it again when you are ready. Even better if you can start it once a forthnight as i said in my previous post.
If you are talking years of storage... that is a different matter.
First i have the car fully detailed inside out. Why? To make sure there is no trace of any food or drink deposits left on upholstery, on carpet, under seats or in trunk. Remove any perishables from vehicle. Storage must be dry and secure. Position car so nothing can bump into it. You will need to buy a few items like a good quality car cover that does not have to be waterproof but protects from dust and light enough to breath freely. You will need four heavy duty jack stands, raise vehicle off ground enough so suspension hangs free. This will prevent suspension sagging. You can remove wheels if you wish but not nessesary. Leave at least one window open so interior can breath. That's why the breathable cover.  Vynol and plastic releases toxins that can harm your interior if not vented.
Under hood, remove battery and store it away from storage area. Drain engine oil and radiator, make sure you reseal caps and drain plug. Remove aircleaner and with a plastic bag tightly wrap carby or throttle body so no air can get in. Remove rocker covers and back off rocker arms or rocker shaft until loose. This will close every valve to seal inside cylinders and release tension on valve springs. Retighten rocker covers.
Make sure you place a note somewhere to remind yourself what you have done under hood. At this stage you may want to consult with a mechanic for assistance.  :call: me when you are ready

Last thing to remember to contact your insurer to advice them of storage, this will reduce your premium while stored and still fully covered.
Finally you may want to consider what El Presidente suggested.  :smile:  

I hope this is helpful, if you need to talk about it  :call:

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332

RIVIERA

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
Thank you Chris your knowledge and help is appreciated.
:thanks:
John

WOTSA442

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
Very informative Chris. I know a bloke who collects Holdens (I believe some people do:huh:)
He reckons you should fill the engine to the brim with oil, remembering to drain it to the right level again, and leave all the doors closed, but not fully, in order to save the seals from flattening. Fact or fiction? Also is there something you shoud lubricate your cylinders with while in storage?

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Quote from: WOTSA442 link=topic=3126.msg19519#msg19519
Very informative Chris. I know a bloke who collects Holdens (I believe some people do:huh:)
He reckons you should fill the engine to the brim with oil, remembering to drain it to the right level again, and leave all the doors closed, but not fully, in order to save the seals from flattening. Fact or fiction? Also is there something you shoud lubricate your cylinders with while in storage?

Personally i do not think filling the engine with oil to the brim is nessessary as long as every opening is covered it will be fine. If you want to preserve the cylinders the best way is by loosening all your rockers so every valve is closed that way guaranteed it is airtight.
As for door seals, they are rubber and pretty flexible i do not think keeping the doors closed will hurt them, they spend most of their life closed anyway.

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333