Author Topic: ***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***  (Read 25069 times)

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
Quote from: lazy69 link=topic=3242.msg19499#msg19499
How would you go if you wanted to import a car that you didn't want to register say for the drags?

You can do that because the import approval is different and you therefore cannot register the car ever. But you do need to have a drag license, race car license etc to import a race or drag car!
Click Image For Our Website

Hemihunter

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »
Quote from: usmusclecars link=topic=3242.msg19478#msg19478
Quote from: Hemihunter link=topic=3242.msg19473#msg19473
How long does the import approval last for? got mine in Aug 2009 didnt need any pics back then , And still have not shipped the car...but this new rule has me thinking, I wonder if i need to update the approval and supply pictures etc?  Im just awaiting the clear title....what a long drawn out episode that is...:feedback:

Not sure you will need to checker with your shipper as to what they want you to do, I would think it would be ok but with the modification rule who knows, you would think that you have the approval dated back in Aug 09 so all would be fine. Gees thats a long time to wait for a Title, turn around is usually around 10 days!

You will be my shipper :rol: so maybe i will let you worry about rather than me  :smile:
The title wait was  due to Georgia Rules i believe, and not having a title to start with we had to apply , as its now out of state in SC, then Register the car there, and just wait out the 3 month period to make sure no leins against it.

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

Oh ok,Well from what I have been told, even if you have an approval entry can be denied and that has been the rule forever, we personally  have never heard of this happening to anyone with an approval, but who knows now. So I would think it makes no difference whether its dated Aug 09 or May 10 as long as its before 12 months is up. Is it modified and to what extent?? If you do not want to put it on the forum you can email me ydonaher@bigpond.net.au

Thanks Yvette

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
Ok,I have more info on the Modification for pre 89 vehicles.
Mags will generally be ok you may still be asked to supply more info basically if you have 22 inch rims you will be asked for more info. Engine changes, a Camaro that had a 327 Chev engine that is now fitted with a 396 etc, if its a crate engine you maybe denied as a new engine is more powerful than an original. When you supply the photos of the car you maybe asked to send in more photos and more info on the changes so they can make a decision on whether to grant approval.
Customs have always done spot checks, therefore if you have an approval for a 67 Camaro and it is checked upon arrival and it has a blown engine etc then you will be asked to supply more info and than it can become a problem as you have imported a vehicle which is not classed as a 67 model (pre 89) unless you have proof that the work was carried out prior to 89.

Generally they are looking for major mods done to vehicles, chasis changes etc.

Best to have approval in hand before shipping takes place and supply correct info to Dotars when applying then all will be good!!!

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
Seems its time for some creative "spannerwork" on some cars....bring them in 'incomplete' with the engine shipped seperately as spares if your engine is newer than was available in 89. Then its a matter for the local rego authorities as to whether you can register the car.....after you put it back together here.
This is the same deal as the stupid airconditioning approval rubbish they go through....so people are just taking compressors off in the states before shipping, send the compressor back in a box and refit and regas here once you've got it in the country....a waste of time for all concerned because of some canberra based idiots.....
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Bumblebee

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Quote from: LeighP link=topic=3242.msg19556#msg19556
This is the same deal as the stupid airconditioning approval rubbish they go through....so people are just taking compressors off in the states before shipping, send the compressor back in a box and refit and regas here once you've got it in the country....a waste of time for all concerned because of some canberra based idiots.....

Leigh, don't beat around the bush, what do you really mean!!:smile:

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
We have a customer we are shipping for and they contacted him today because he has different mags fitted, even though they are 14inch rims the same as factory, he has been asked to please explain:fingers:

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
I wonder, does chrome/billet in the shape of an original part count as modified? eg valve covers,pulleys etc.
I also wonder how a 69 Vett would go if it came in with fender flares, raised L88 hood and side pipes? Because they were all actual original options! I imagine you would have to prove it?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »
Quote from: usmusclecars link=topic=3242.msg19562#msg19562
We have a customer we are shipping for and they contacted him today because he has different mags fitted, even though they are 14inch rims the same as factory, he has been asked to please explain:fingers:

Dear Mr. Canberra,
Well, um, you see, if you don't have wheels on the car, it's really hard to drive around.  I hope this was helpful.

Kind regards,
Mr. Car Enthusiast.

Fine 59

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »
I was looking at importing a blown 24 T bucket from the states but I now have concerns  in relation to this new policy introduced on the 4th May, aren't most if not all hot rods modified or customised in one way or the other and don't you normally pay for the car in full before you can apply for an import approval, dose this mean I have buckleys on getting that car here now.

Cheers

Mick

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333