Author Topic: ***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***  (Read 25037 times)

super 88

***Importation of pre-1989 Vehicles. A Must Read***
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
Quote from: Fine 59 link=topic=3242.msg19577#msg19577
I was looking at importing a blown 24 T bucket from the states but I now have concerns  in relation to this new policy introduced on the 4th May, aren't most if not all hot rods modified or customised in one way or the other and don't you normally pay for the car in full before you can apply for an import approval, dose this mean I have buckleys on getting that car here now.

Cheers

Mick

Well if you talk to the seller and explain the situation that you need the import approval before you can buy , he might wait if your willing to pay more than anyone else for the car, other wise its just to much of a risk, our approval took 4 weeks for the olds, after 3 weeks they wanted photos of the car, the approval came a week after that, long time for a seller to wait , good luck with it mick.

usmusclecars

• Top Fuel Pilot
    • http://excosales.com.au
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
Quote from: Fine 59 link=topic=3242.msg19577#msg19577
I was looking at importing a blown 24 T bucket from the states but I now have concerns  in relation to this new policy introduced on the 4th May, aren't most if not all hot rods modified or customised in one way or the other and don't you normally pay for the car in full before you can apply for an import approval, dose this mean I have buckleys on getting that car here now.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick, Unless the car came out with a blown engine, which it didn't, wouldn't off, should have, there is no way they will allow this car to be imported into the country.:mad:
That is exactly what they are stopping from coming into the country.

Click Image For Our Website

us2oz

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi Guys,
 As you are all  no doubt aware there has been a real "Shake up" of the whole motor vehicle import scene of late particularly targeting mainly historic(cars assembled before the 1/1/89)vehicles not covered by the RAWS system which is for post 89 vehicles which are covered by a whole different set of rules & licensing requirements.I have been watching the talk with interest on this web site & others & it is interesting to see what sort of stories,theories & just plain silly comments are being thrown around regarding the current situation!The fact is the "rules have not changed but rather they are now just being enforced"!Now that is a direct quote from the assistant to the Vehicle Standards Administrator at DOTARS in Canberra.Having said this I do believe that it is time to have a very clear view on just what the current interpratation of these rules will allow us ,the enthusiasts, to bring into this country.On the 10th of June I have been fortunate enough to be granted a face to face meetng with The Vehicle Standards Administator and his advisors to both discuss the current situation & perhaps discuss ways we can improve the import process perhaps through better communication/education,look at ways of streamlining the import approval process & just generally trying to have a say in a system that has a large affect on our hobby & people like myself who weekly bring these vehicles into the country.So as a courtesy to those of you that are looking to import a car,M/Cycle or even a Boat at any time in the future I would like to invite you to attend Tuesdays AMCCA General meeting for your input as I will be taking what I think are good points/questions directly too the Administrator.As time is always a problem at the meeting I  dont really want  to get into a long drawn out debate over what is right or wrong about this major crackdown on historic imports I would just appreciate sensible suggestions by way of questions I can put directly to this department & hopefully allow me ,& all the people/customers that have contacted me over the last few weeks ,to be able to have a clear view of what is required to import your new "Pride & Joy"with as little hassle & grief as possble so you can quickly get through" the rules of today" &" enjoy your piece of the past".Yvette & I take what we do very seriously & we feel that by getting definitive answers on this subject we can better serve our customers & as a consequence help the hobby we all enjoy to make a little more sence of the situation.
 See you at the meeting.              Mick....................  

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »
Thanks for looking into it!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Hemifish

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
NOT only are they targeting importation of modified vehicles , THEY are targeting any pre 89 road registered vehicle in NSW for modifications and NOISE as i was pulled over at camden on my way home today , i know i cant have a supercharger out the bonnett but i was booked $200 for NOISE and was told,  I must take it to the NEW,  DEPARTMENT of ENVIROMENT and CLIMATE CHANGE [DECC] for NOISE inspection , they are sending all old cars there INSTEAD of your local BLUE SLIP [putting any mechanic out of buiness] , WHAT im p#ssed over as they didn't even check for NOISE :lol: IM handing in my rego tommorow SELLING my engine and putting it back to standard with a single 2inch exhaust , :mad: no more modified old bombs in NSW even know its the 4cylinder dudes that caused this:smile:

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »
Hi Mick and Yvette I have just spoke to Garry and Maureen and we have included your Discussion to the agenda of the next general meeting which has been brought forward to TUESDAY night. We ask that all members that have input to the discussion please take a little time to prepare there questions / response and stick to the issue at hand as Micks intention is to include the input from our club members to his address to the Administrator.

cluxford

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
G'day all new to the forum, didn't even know about this forum till today, been spending my time over on www.usmuscle.com.au  Will introduce myself more formally in a proper thread and looks like a great forum.  

The above mentioned issue is indeed an important one for us to understand and address.  Many people are tackling this through the proper channels.  I agree with Mick there are a variety of comments abounding on this, but for me it is a further tightening of our ability to have the freedom to enjoy our hobby.

I can't make the meeting tonight but will offer my support in anyway I can to help move this forward in a positive way for us.  The ASRF is already strongly representing this through the right channels.

572 Goat, that is very frustrating, I too would like to run a blower.  I have been for sometime thinking about how we could combine the club rego rules, the ASRF "Street Rod registration" rules into a national code fro low use vehicles like ours.  As our cars are rarely driven and if we can afford to build them, we can afford to build them safely.  NZ has the right approach to this.  Another topic for another day, but my view is that blanket restrictions on modifications has massive massive negative economic benefit for this country...we need to stand together to shift the thinking on this

Hemifish

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »
G'day cluxford , my issue with my gto was for noise only they didn't worry about a defect for moving parts out the bonnett:lol: but to pass the NEW DECC ill still have to remove the supercharger becaure of height reasons even knowing that our cars are more SAFE & RESPECTED in the manner we drive our machines , [ i may get carryed away some times with a squirt or power skid but there is a time & place when i do it :lol:] IVE handed in my rego & ill put my car back to standard over the next couple of years then give the keys to my 15 yo SON when he turns 21 :bow: IN the mean time ill save up & im am buying a HEMI powered car:drink:

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
572 goat
its a shame you are going to do that to your car :(

I do however like the point Cluxford brought up re restricted registration .surely there are enough people with modified cars /cars on club rego /hotrods etc that SHOULD band together and actually lobby the governments Australia wide for some common sense rules to apply to our hobby !

AUSCAMARO

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
Quote from: ausmonza link=topic=3242.msg19706#msg19706
572 goat
its a shame you are going to do that to your car :(

I do however like the point Cluxford brought up re restricted registration .surely there are enough people with modified cars /cars on club rego /hotrods etc that SHOULD band together and actually lobby the governments Australia wide for some common sense rules to apply to our hobby !

As Steve just said, we are not a minority... there are sooooo many more people other than just car enthusiasts that will be hurt by whats happening.

Think of all of the businesses out there that will loose revenue as the modified car scene decreases, everything from Engineers to parts suppliers and manufacturers will be effected. Even Insurance companies...

The goverment is doing a number of things that in my opinion are only going to hurt or Country in the near future and as a MAJORITY not a minority we need to band together and raise OUR voices.

How many car shows are there each year... Get to them and get the word out... How many people have contacts in the motoring industry... Get to them and get the word out..

If something official comes form the meeting/discussion you guys are having, then count me in!!

Mitch

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333