Author Topic: mustang down!!!  (Read 20406 times)

65pony

• Speedster
mustang down!!!
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
As the topic suggests the  mustang ain't exactly running at the moment and I need a little bit of tech support with it.

I just bought a new electronic distributor for it so went about installing it. Followed the instructions and sure enough she turned over.

So it idle's fine but when I accelerate she just cuts out and shoots fuel straight out the top of the carby.

Now I have turned the mixture screw down and up and played around with the timing on the distributor with no avail. I'm buying a timing light during the week when I get a chance but I just want to make sure everything else i've done is right.

Could this be from something else??

Any help would be great so when it's sunny again I can get back out their :fantastic:

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
mustang down!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
Joel do you have all your leads on the correct way.
How did you go about removing it,did you have it on 1 or just mark the dizzy with something on the block or body and then remove,if you took this route it could be out one tooth on the gear.

Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

65pony

• Speedster
mustang down!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
yeah all the leads are on perfectly. I followed a clip on the net which showed exactly what you just said, marked the 1 position which was on the edge of my oil filter and replace it will the new one.

It just seems weird to me that it can idle but as soon as i give it a bit it'll cut out and blow some fuel.

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
mustang down!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
have you fitted a module or a whole new dizzy?
Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

65pony

• Speedster
mustang down!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »
Whole new dizzy. I had the old dizzy with points and that so I updated to a new electronic one.

mattlea1

mustang down!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
I reckon its a tooth out Joel

65pony

• Speedster
mustang down!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
Sorry mate not the brightest on a sunday night, especially after a few. Can you explain tooth out??

mattlea1

mustang down!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »
Im guessing you lined the old dizzy up on number one top dead centre? If so and then you lined the new dizzy up the same and dropped it in are you sure it ended up in the exact same spot? What can happen in a lot of cases because the dizzy gear has curved teeth it seems lined up until you drop it in but as it slides in it ends up being one tooth out which will give you dramas every time.

When you say shoots fuel out the carby, is it backfiring? If it is then it is definitely an electrical drama and not fuel.

65pony

• Speedster
mustang down!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
Oh ok i get ya now.

What we tried first was to pull the old dizzy out and put the new one in the exact same spot in regards to lead 1. The next thing we tried was exactly what you said.

I'm not sure as I have never seen a car do that before but I would say yea it's backfiring.

mattlea1

mustang down!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
It is definitely electrical because if it was a fuel problem it would be backfiring out the exhaust. Chances are the new dizzy could be faulty.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333