Author Topic: Those evil MSD distributors!  (Read 18554 times)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
Those evil MSD distributors!
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
Hello members and guests!
Just a reminder about my post a while ago about faulty MSD Pro Billett distributors.
They are still haunting me!
I have two dead vehicles in my workshop because of severly corroded internals of these faulty dizzies. As it seem it is not only isolated to Chev engines. One is in a very tough nitrous fed 355 Holden and the other is in a well known Hemi Challenger.
(not mine)
If you have experienced misfiring, hard starting and loss of performance running one of these it is time to look under that dizzy cap. It only takes a minute and a screw driver. It may just save you an expensive tow to my workshop.  

Cheers, Chris.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Bumblebee

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »
Hi Chris,

Is this issue limited to MSD Pro Billets only, I have an MSD Billet (not the Pro Billet), is mine equally at risk?

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=3476.msg21215#msg21215
Hi Chris,

Is this issue limited to MSD Pro Billets only, I have an MSD Billet (not the Pro Billet), is mine equally at risk?

Hi Les,
I have already checked yours, it is fine. It seems only Pro Billets are affected.
Cheers.

Phone 02 9793 3332

GTA390

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Quote from: sms777 link=topic=3476.msg21216#msg21216
Quote from: Bumblebee link=topic=3476.msg21215#msg21215
Hi Chris,

Hi Les,
I have already checked yours, it is fine. It seems only Pro Billets are affected.
Cheers.

Your doubly safe Les yours is also on a Ford, they don't seem to have the problem :rol::rol:

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
So, whats causing the corrosion issue? Would an occasional light spray inside and a wipe out with something like Lanox or WD40 be of any use....or would that be counterproductive?
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
I have seen brand new units straight out the box with corrosion already showing on metal components. As far as i am concerned the only fix is a garbage bin because the manufacturer does not want to know about it. The reason for this is once the product leaves mainland US the warranty rests on the local supplier. Their excuse was as i stated in my original post "You must have got you engine bay wet". :cry:
I have tried WD40, makes no difference.
Get rid of it and buy a Pertronix or Ice unit.

Phone 02 9793 3332

PAP

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
I can't comment on the msd system i have not had much to do with them, but i can say that the ICE is very good, i have a one on my chev and i am very happy with it.
I have the 6 amp 2 step with the 10 preset curves, i did have some ignition gremlins with my old system and made the change to the ICE and hav'nt looked back.
Plus the guy's in melbourne are very helpful with any question you might have.

Cheers

Hemifish

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
I didn't have any problem with my previous MSD but could see the corrosion starting , Lucky i sold with the engine , My new engine WON'T be having a MSD :agree:

rattusrex

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »
Quote from: PAP link=topic=3476.msg21331#msg21331
I can't comment on the msd system i have not had much to do with them, but i can say that the ICE is very good, i have a one on my chev and i am very happy with it.
I have the 6 amp 2 step with the 10 preset curves, i did have some ignition gremlins with my old system and made the change to the ICE and hav'nt looked back.

Cheers

In what way? Tired of playing around with points etc. Had enough of that rubbish in the sixties. Eddie

PAP

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »
Quote from: rattusrex link=topic=3476.msg21347#msg21347
Quote from: PAP link=topic=3476.msg21331#msg21331

Cheers

In what way? Tired of playing around with points etc. Had enough of that rubbish in the sixties. Eddie

I had a Acell HEI dissy which i had problems with, i had it serviced new cap leads ect but still could not workout the missing. I know of freinds that have no problems with this dissy but we could not find the fault.
Just thought i would add a little feedback on the ICE seeing it was mentioned.  

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333