Author Topic: My car wont start  (Read 18782 times)

stanglover

My car wont start
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
So any suggestions why it won't tick over?
:coffee:
Battery is fine, there's petrol, oil and water.....lol.
It normally takes a few goes before it kicks over but yesterday it just didn't want to.
I don't think I flooded it, cause even if I did, I left it for a couple of hours went to start it again and same problem.

65pony

• Speedster
My car wont start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »
have you got a spark?? also is there fuel going into the carby?? could be a clogged up fuel filter.

I'm sure there are alot of people on here that will know more than me. DR SMS will be able to help ya!

stanglover

My car wont start
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
It's weird cause it initially started, drove it out the garage, switched it off, washed it, an hour later went to start it back up and it cranks, has fuel, but just won't start.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
My car wont start
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »
O.K. Bas, here i am. What did you exactly wash, did you also wash the engine bay?  If you did you may have got water inside the distributor cap. Have a look inside just in case.
If you have detailed your engine bay you may have accidentally dislodged a connection to your coil or dissy. I have a feeling you have got no spark because of these reasons so check it first.
The easiest way to check spark is to remove one of your ignition leads and get another spark plug (any spark plug will do as long as it is clean), push it in to the end of the lead that you have just removed, lay it on top of the intake manifold ( make sure it is firmly on something metal so it gets earth) than get someone to crank the engine while you are watching the plug see if it sparks.
You will find your problem right away.
Let me know how you went.
My mobile number is 0419 757 757 if no success.
Cheers, Chris.      

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

stanglover

My car wont start
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
Hello Dr. sms!

No I didn't wash the car with water, just went over it with a spray and wipe.
Engine bay: all I did was spray a little of windex on top of the air cleaner and a wipe to give a shine :coffee:
I must tell you that ever since I had the cam changed it's been difficult to start initially. It always takes a few cranks before it kicks over.
Anyhow, with the limited space in the garage I don't have many tools and definately no spare spark plug laying around.....I'll have to fetch a new one to try.
Thanks Dr, I'll give that a go and let you know.

chris67

• P Plater
My car wont start
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
Bas
it could be your points are stuck if you want a spark plug i have heaps of old ones or just wait and if i get a chance i'll try to drop in
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!  

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
My car wont start
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
 Battery terminals?? Is the the engine turning if no....starter motor?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

stanglover

My car wont start
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
ok, engine is turning but won't start.
My patience got the better of me and I bought a spark plug, followed the Dr.s orders and there is absolutely no spark and this is a brand new spark plug!

Terminals are fine, I even tried getting a jump start from the neighbor with jumper leads and still no good.

stanglover

My car wont start
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
so......
battery is fine.....
I did the carby test to see if there's fuel squirting in, and no problem there, squirting fine.
done the spark plug check and no spark.

68PONY

My car wont start
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
Quote from: stanglover link=topic=3541.msg21766#msg21766
so......
battery is fine.....
I did the carby test to see if there's fuel squirting in, and no problem there, squirting fine.
done the spark plug check and no spark.

Okay bas next step, check for spark at coil , pull lead out from centre of dizzy and chech for spark there , check the same way you did the spark plug, then get back to us ,if no spark there your ignition switch could be cactus or the coil
bas click on link below and go through all the steps, you should find the problem through the process of ellimination.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/newbies/series_III/guides_engine_cranks_but_will_not_start.html

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333