Author Topic: True trac LSD  (Read 14615 times)

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
True trac LSD
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
As some may be aware I have fitted a new diff with a tru trac limited slip differential.

Just thought Id share some feedback on it.

A conventional LSD has clutches and plates,or lockers that can be a bit vicious.

The true trac is a geared LSD,with spiral gears that are pre loaded and 'turn into each other" as torque is applied or traction broken,inturn making both wheels drive at the same time.

The geared version and the pre load allows the car to be driven normally without any indication of the inners of the diff,A locker for instance the wheels chatter on hard cornering like reverse parking or turning into parking spots etc,until the gas is apllied,making it very user friendly.

Clutched LSD's eventually wear and become loose and lose there effectivness.

Its claimed that the geared true trac will remain as is for a much longer period,depending upon its use and abuse.

Once installed on our second need to reverse the car we had a knock similar to severe backlash coming from the rear of the car,Quickly ran the car down and put it back on the hoist,no apparent play or damage,a quick google search revealed others have had the same experience.

Some LSD additive in the oil resolved this hick up, Amazingly, Eaton,True Trac, have never heard of the problem.:smile:

The additive is used to essentially make the oil "more slippery" I use it at work on many of the hydraulics I work on. For some equipment its  essential to use additive for them to work properly.

One noticable difference I found was when powering through a corner that is rough the car pushes or understeers alot more then it used to,Nearly catching us out on the recent Hunter Valley w/end.

The predictabilty of what the car is going to do when the boot is in good to feel,as opposed to it swapping wheels when under power.

All in all very happy with what it claimed and has delivered.

Hoorroo

Luke

Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

PAP

True trac LSD
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
hi muzzy
i have that particular centre on my chev and i am very happy with it to. The only problem i have had is that i do get a little bit of a whin from the diff @ 80-85ks, but i have been told that it could be because of the gear ratio i am running (4.33) how true that is,i don't know.
But in saying that, yes i have to agree it is a nice diff centre.

Cheers

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
True trac LSD
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
Quote from: PAP link=topic=3560.msg21924#msg21924
hi muzzy
i have that particular centre on my chev and i am very happy with it to. The only problem i have had is that i do get a little bit of a whin from the diff @ 80-85ks, but i have been told that it could be because of the gear ratio i am running (4.33) how true that is,i don't know.
But in saying that, yes i have to agree it is a nice diff centre.

Cheers

Hi there,

I dont have any noise as you describe .if its just been done maybe take the centre back to the builder.?

I do have a whine on back off or decel,I was warned of this with 3,25's,They wanted me to run 3.5's as they are able to set them up and have no issue,I wasnt keen on 3.5 so I took the 3.25's.
its all to do with the cut on the teeth and getting the mark spot on.
Its almost undetectable unless you really listen for it,Its not a problem for me as its very minimul compared to the other whinning I get in the car...:smile::boxing:

Luke

SBC-68-FIREBIRD

True trac LSD
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:00:50 AM »
I have done a bit oif reading up on the Tru Tracks & if & when the time comes I wont be replacing clutches, a Tru Track will be going in. Sound like a nice thing.

Hemifish

True trac LSD
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
Tru Tracks are good But when you start punishing them They break , A Non Spin Detroit Locker is the go a bit more expensive , But Big Blocks or high Torque engines wont Destroy them .

GAS455

True trac LSD
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
Quote from: Hemifish link=topic=3560.msg21930#msg21930
Tru Tracks are good But when you start punishing them They break , A Non Spin Detroit Locker is the go a bit more expensive , But Big Blocks or high Torque engines wont Destroy them .

I went for a Detroit Locker the '60 with my 9".
In the '57 I'm using the standard Pontiac diff with a Spool.
I like to punish the car and hate breaking things.

In the GTO it will be a cruiser with a little Poke, so something like the Tru Track will be perfect.

Where did you get yours through Luke?

GAS455

True trac LSD
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Quote from: Muzzy 66 link=topic=3560.msg21925#msg21925

Its almost undetectable unless you really listen for it,Its not a problem for me as its very minimul compared to the other whinning I get in the car...:smile::boxing:

Luke

You need a louder exhaust to get rid of that whine!!:zip:

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
True trac LSD
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
Quote from: GAS455 link=topic=3560.msg21946#msg21946
Quote from: Hemifish link=topic=3560.msg21930#msg21930

I went for a Detroit Locker the '60 with my 9".
In the '57 I'm using the standard Pontiac diff with a Spool.
I like to punish the car and hate breaking things.

In the GTO it will be a cruiser with a little Poke, so something like the Tru Track will be perfect.

Where did you get yours through Luke?

D & R Differentials at Chipping Norton.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333