Author Topic: later ford..  (Read 19158 times)

Hemifish

later ford..
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
Quote from: mike.biggs link=topic=3617.msg22355#msg22355
Really enjoy reading the replies guys. Thanks for those pointers Russ... As I'm 27, its not like a grew up with most of these cars, I just appreciate their history and what they stood for once upon a time, and still do. I dont have a particular model that I'm attached to, and I'd be happy with many of the options out there, but thought theres probably so many models I'm missing and looking over.

Resale value is always something to consider, but I generally buy for the longer run, and its never a priority (prob should be hahaha). Parts availablity is really important. I'd be using this car as a 2nd daily driver/weekender, it wont be in mothballs and a under a rug, so I want reliability, and the knowledge I can get parts and do the work myself. Awesomeness...well thats why we're all here arent we, otherwise we'd be over on the Hyundai forums :boxing: I'd love something people stop to look at, but again, that generally means its rare, and so are parts, I think unique is what I'm chasing. An Aussie built anything I'd assume would have good local support, and if the right XA/B/C coupe came up I'd grab it, but I think theres plenty of guys out there thinking the same.

So about this Galaxie, GTA390 (if that is your real name! haha) would you mind pointing me in the direction of some pics, or could you send some to me. What is the current engine, as I'm assuming its no longer the 390. I dont wish to waste any of your time, but a whlle ago a friend suggested a Galaxie and its funny you mentioned it now, and it may just tickle my fancy :)

Thanks again everyone.

PS. I had to watch "Bullit" today just to see Steve McQueen throw that Mustang around :) Great machine!
 :boxing: IT Takes a MOPAR To Catch a MOPAR:bow:

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Hemifish link=topic=3617.msg22364#msg22364
 :boxing: IT Takes a MOPAR To Catch a MOPAR:bow:

I believe they were originally going to use a Ford Galaxie for the bad guys car, but changed to the Charger because it WAS something the Mustang could chase :boxing: ...and force to drive into a petrol station and explode! hahaha

Both awesome cars really.

sell4u

later ford..
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
The 67 Galaxie Fastback sounds like the way to go

I was going to recommend something similar, there is a Late 60"s Galaxie near my house for sale for $6,000.

Around 660 Henry Lawson Dr East Hills

I have driven past it the past week but not stopped to have a close look so dont know the details / condition but if you want me to have a closer look happy to.

I enjoy all cars, Fords / Chevs & now after joining the club starting to appreciate that 3rd badge

In terms of parts life is alot easier for the more common cars like muzzys / 57's etc but parts themselves are only 1 part - paint, trim, wheels, drive line still costs the same so go something different.

I know its been done but would love an E-type with current model running gear or see someone do a a volvo p1800 (i think thats right from the 60's tv series the Saint?) with a Lexus 4lt V8, or maybe a 60's Challenger with a Viper engine (if it fits).

GTA390

later ford..
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
Heres some older photos, the frame has been removed sandblasted and repainted in POR15 and the body has been refitted with all new body mount rubbers.
If you are interested send me a u2u with your email and i will get some more snaps, it's just the car is about 2 1/2 hours away from where i live now.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
later ford..
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
Just stick a battery in it and she'll go.:lol:

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:52 PM »
...long time no see.

I'm looking at a '64 Ford Galaxie 500 this weekend.

It has a 351 Cleveland with a 600 Holley (done 15,000 miles), and FMX box. Fresh paint, XW GT rims, looks tidy, right hand drive, only minor things to do for roadworthy, suits me just fine.

-Anything I should be looking for in between kicking tires?
-What power output should I expect from that engine setup? Not sure if its a 2V or 4V yet
-Says it originally had a 289 in it. Do I need to ensure it has engineering plates for the 351, or isnt that an issue?
-Fuel economy? I dont expect a Prius in the fuel department, but moving from an Audi quad cam V8 4.2, a carby 351 might be a shock :)
-FMX boxes anygood?

Cheers guys, any input appreciated. Cant wait to own some American Muscle :)

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
later ford..
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
G'day Mike(?)
64 Galaxie huh?....not a bad choice i guess.
It's a Ford but hey, we got to start somewhere...:zip:
Regarding engine size, i am in NSW and down here the rule is that you are allowed an incrase in engine size up by 15% of the largest engine option before engineering is required. I believe the biggest engine available in 64 was 427 cubes so that is not an issue. In NSW anyway.
Your stock 351 should be good for 250 hp if tuned right, they are pretty agricultural engines and cheap to aquire but heavy on fuel.
As you can tell i am not a fan of Clevelands but have to admit if built right they can produce enough torque to pull down small buildings. I would prefer a Windsor stroker that would give you more room for headers and tidyness.
Having a Windsor almost like having a Chev in your engine bay...:zip:  
As for any other issues to look out for ....take a magnet with you and look very close under that fresh paint job especially  floors and chassis rails.
Good luck and post some picks if you buy.

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

chrisevo

later ford..
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
G'Day Mike
A lot of great advice from everyone here. At the end of the day, go with what you "like" not what someone else wants you to buy. Your the driver and must have an idea of what you have always admired. There are plenty of great pics of members cars on this site so have a good look and start thinking about what YOU want. Mustangs parts can be bought everywhere but so can all others bits and pieces for any muscle car.
Cheers

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:21 PM »
Thanks for all the input...but the beast was just sold out from under me. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did at $6000. Well worth the money after pricing similar ones.

The search continues...maybe for a Windsor this time :)

ozpont

• Rally Licence
    • www.usgmsp.com
later ford..
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »
mike.biggs

..this is one right from the left side but maybe .... these are starting to catch on..... have you ever thought about a 99-02 Ford Cougar.. (not the Ford Probe...) ... the injected 2.5lt V6 Cougar is really a US Ford Mercury Cougar and you can badge swap easy to bring it back to real life.. they are  well made, economical & fitted with a lot of modern good bits like heated seats, air bags etc..  
   Ford for some reason brought a bundle of these American designed Coupes (the era of US Explorers, Taurus & Probes)  in from 99 and sold out in 02..

Good everyday transport and a special interest car.

The Cougar particularly I think is a sleeper in Australia... more so then the Probe..

Just a thought...:drink:

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333