Author Topic: later ford..  (Read 19157 times)

mike.biggs

later ford..
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm just new here on the site, but wanting to get your obvious educated feedback :drink:

I'm wanting to start my first serious muscle car project, and it has to be a Ford, but having trouble working out what I really want to base it on. Sounds silly I know.

I'd love an XR-XY series Falcon/Fairmont, even XA-XC but the prices of these have gone through the roof. Looking over 10k for something pretty ordinary to start with. Seen some decent Stangs about, but how do you go getting parts for them?

I'm wanting it to end up neat and tidy, not a show car, and not a serious track car. I'm handy with a welder, mechanicals, and paint, so after a doer-upperer, but not a rust bucket. After owning a few German "muscle cars", I'm chasing something really clean and primarily simple. Race seats, harnesses, digital dash, crate motor, 8-track...not much else.

I havent made my mind up on 2 or 4 door, 2 door would be great, but seem 2-4x the price. I'll know it when I see it :bow:

Some models are bargains because they are less desirable or collectable. Any ideas what models I should be looking out for? Anyone seen anything going cheap thats worth a look?

Thanks fellas. Hope to be around here more often :coffee:

Kroooozer

later ford..
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
If you want to stick with Ford you can get a Mustang coupe driver at reasonable price...even look at early Thunderbirds as they can be found cheap.......these can be around the $15k mark upwards...by the way whats a German muscle car?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Mustang-1967-/250693085036?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a5e78e76c

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
later ford..
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
Mike, first up, I'm not a Ford guy, but I've been in the American car hobby for 29 years.

In my view, fixing up a Mustang would be 100 times easier than fixing up an Aussie Ford.

You could probably build a mid sixties Mustang from all 2010 parts.  They make EVERYTHING for them and I mean everything.  

Having said that, you won't, of course, be able to go to SuperCheap or Auto One for most stuff, but there's a number of parts suppliers in Australia that deal with Mustangs and from what I'm told, they generally keep a lot of stuff in stock, so it's not like you'll have to wait for parts.  Further to that, there are also a number of suspension and steering upgrades that will drag a Mustang into the 21st century from the driving point of view.

It's just a matter of having a look around and seeing what appeals to you.  

By the way, did I mention that I'm not a Ford guy?? :smile:

her69

• Committee
  • Rally Licence
  • Club President
later ford..
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum:drink:

I am at present having a full resto done on my '69 Mustang Convertable.
I am able to get any parts I require at Sydney Mustang Parts at Carlton 9546 4646. They are also our club sponsor so I like to support them.
I agree with bonnavista about the Mustang being the easiest car to build.
Good luck with your project car.

Cheers Maureen

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
Firstly, thanks everyone for your feedback, love your cars by the way.

I had looked at a nice 64 T-Bird, complete with the original 390, and in the light metallic blue, was under $15k and although its definitely a nice car, just wasnt quite what I was after. Make very nice cruiser though.

Looks like I'll keep my eyes out for a decent Mustang.  The idea of being able to get parts locally, and even interstate is great. And knowing there are decent upgrades around is pleasing to hear...plus I've always been partial to a nice Stang.

And Kroooozer, by German "Muscle car" I'm referring to an old Mercedes 450SEL with the 6.9 V8, some head work and headers, made enough power to wind off the speedo, and felt smooth while doing it. Had nice paint and some widened original chrome wheels and hubcaps. Nice old beast. I currently drive an '96 Audi A8 Quattro. Runs a 4.2 V8 with some basic mods, makes 400hp, all-wheel drive, aluminium body, Bilstein and Eibach suspension. Tops out just over 300km/h, and gives most sport V8s a run for their money ...guess that can be considered muscle in some books :) ...but after waiting 12weeks to get a new diff crown wheel after I broke it...I'm over the lack of support, recognition ("an Audi whaatt?") and knowledge of these type cars in Australia, and I'm an Audi/VW mechanic by trade. Did up my EF Fairmont from parts at Repco and off eBay and it was a dream to do. Friend of the family has a genuine XA GT Coupe, XY GT, and doing up an early Mainline...so if I get a Ford I'm bound to get some pointers and help from him :)

Thanks for the number Maureen, I'll be sure to get in contact once I have some metal in the drive way :)

Thanks again guys, and gal

GTA390

later ford..
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
If you are serious about looking for a car to resto i have one that i keep thinking weather to sell or not as i am running out of places to put it.
Its a 67 Galaxie Fastback, body is just about ready to paint (appertures allready painted), heaps of new parts.
This sucker is not like a Mustang in any way shape or form with regards to parts availabilty, they are there in the states, but it has been part of the experience in getting them and bringing them here.
I'm not ever going to just give it away, but the price i would be looking for is well less than the $ and work put in so far, and yes it's a muscle car.
Original had a FE 390/C6/9"
9" just been fully rebuilt, changed ratio to 3.25 with lsd.
Current motor would have to be negotiated if you were fair dinkum.
All new steering/suspension, 2" drop all round, not reset sh#t made in Aus this all came from Jamco in the US.
This was one of my dream cars but things happen in lifes little journey so if it goes it goes, if not i'll finish it off ( when i find time):ripped:

Russ

• P Plater
later ford..
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
Well I'm not a Ford guy - far from it actually, so I might be the wrong guy to give advice in this situation :lol: but if I was to buy a Ford, it would be an XA-XC Coupe.

As you said, prices can get high, but it would make more sense.

Judging by your post, there's no underlying drive making your decision - if there was, you'd be like half of us and there would only be one make/model acceptable. You'd know exactly what you wanted, and kinda-sorta isn't anywhere near good enough.

This doesn't seem to be the case, so you might want to take a few other things into consideration - beyond parts availability.

1 - Resale value. OK, so you're not looking to buy a car to do some quick fixes and flip it - but you never know what the future holds, and for anybody that isn't looking to buy the car they've been dreaming of for 40 years and would give the right-arm to acquire, if financial trouble arises, the classic/muscle car is usually the first and most sensible option on the chopping block. You will want something that won't lose value, and with some basic repairs will definitely increase it's worth.

An XA-XB-XC Coupe fits this bill perfectly. Local muscle cars do have a limited selection, but it's apart of why they're so sought after - and regardless of what is happening with the world financial situation, they will always have a market.

You also mentioned you're handy with cars, so you'll save a bunch on labour fees, with time spent being your only cost.

2 - Parts availability. So maybe this is an important factor, but pending your location, despite the cost of some reproduced parts, it's very handy being able to either make a phone call, check stock levels, and drive to pick up the part. At the least, have that part sent Express Post and with you the next day.

Plus, despite a few Coupe specific parts (doors/trim etc), majority of parts can be sourced from sedan version. There's plenty of them around, and there' plenty of them sitting in wreckers or someones backyard.

Because they're a local icon, parts will be much easier to find. Even if they're difficult to get a hold of, everything is within country, so the chance of knowing someone that knows someone is increased 10 fold. There is no way you'll ever have to go outside Australian/NZ borders to source anything.

3 - Awesomeness! Yes, snobs will call you a bogan on spec alone, but no bones about it, they're friggin' awesome. Cruise down a street in a Mustang? Meh ... another 60 year old buying the car he should have bought 40 years ago (just jokes people :boxing: ) ... but an XB Coupe? People will literally avoid eye contact with you, and get out of your way. hahahaha ...

Other than that - they're Right-Hand Drive (as are a lot of Mustangs). Maybe that will effect your decision?

If you're OK with LHD, and would consider either importing, or something already imported, I'd consider GTA390's offer above. A '66 or '67 2 Door Galaxie would be sweet. That was Ford Australia biggest mistake in the late '60s - not offering 2 door Hardtop versions.

They have a familiar look about them, but not being a 4 door adds a uniqueness that locals aren't use to.

If you do decide on a Mustang - Fastback or Die!

:hangloose:
~ Russ

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
Really enjoy reading the replies guys. Thanks for those pointers Russ... As I'm 27, its not like a grew up with most of these cars, I just appreciate their history and what they stood for once upon a time, and still do. I dont have a particular model that I'm attached to, and I'd be happy with many of the options out there, but thought theres probably so many models I'm missing and looking over.

Resale value is always something to consider, but I generally buy for the longer run, and its never a priority (prob should be hahaha). Parts availablity is really important. I'd be using this car as a 2nd daily driver/weekender, it wont be in mothballs and a under a rug, so I want reliability, and the knowledge I can get parts and do the work myself. Awesomeness...well thats why we're all here arent we, otherwise we'd be over on the Hyundai forums :boxing: I'd love something people stop to look at, but again, that generally means its rare, and so are parts, I think unique is what I'm chasing. An Aussie built anything I'd assume would have good local support, and if the right XA/B/C coupe came up I'd grab it, but I think theres plenty of guys out there thinking the same.

So about this Galaxie, GTA390 (if that is your real name! haha) would you mind pointing me in the direction of some pics, or could you send some to me. What is the current engine, as I'm assuming its no longer the 390. I dont wish to waste any of your time, but a whlle ago a friend suggested a Galaxie and its funny you mentioned it now, and it may just tickle my fancy :)

Thanks again everyone.

PS. I had to watch "Bullit" today just to see Steve McQueen throw that Mustang around :) Great machine!

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
later ford..
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
Yeah, Steve's Mustang had the rare 27 speed gearbox.

mike.biggs

later ford..
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
:agree: hahahah, yeah I noticed that, and he double clutches EVERY single gear, up or down...think it had a heavy duty truck box in it

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333